View Poll Results: Have you used a QR Code?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Once

0 0%
  • Yes - now and again

8 57.14%
  • No, Never

4 28.57%
  • What's a QR code?

2 14.29%
Like Tree9Likes

QR Codes - Used one?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

QR Codes - Used one?

QR Codes - what are they? who are they? where do they come from?

Have you used a QR Code?
    Do you know what they are and how to use them?

What are they?
    - First, do you know what a barcode is? it's simply a font which can be easily scanned/read by a computer
    -- here's a barcode:
    Name:  barcode.png
Views: 93
Size:  278 Bytes
    -- here's a QR code:
    Name:  qrcode.png
Views: 92
Size:  510 Bytes

- Now, what's a QR code? - a QR code is simply a "more complicated" barcode, the result is you can get more information into a relatively smaller space, there are some other technical benefits/features too, but don't worry about that for now

How do I use QR codes?
    Personally, I find them quite useful and use them from time to time, some examples:
    * HK Tramstops have QR codes which you can scan to find the next 3 arriving trams
    * The Octopus app has the ability to scan a QR code to facilitate payments
    * Sometimes I want to share a link from my desktop PC to a phone, I use a QR Code generator extension in Chrome and then scan it on the phone/tablet

On Android, I use the app called "Barcode Scanner" - there are plenty of others available, but this one works and I'm happy with it

imparanoic likes this.

Apparently you can use a QR Code to sign onto a wifi network so when you have guests in your home, you can just let them scan a qr code rather than give them a password.

Doesn't work with iphones though so can't test if this works.

I use them for:

Paying Taobao items via Octopus
    Login into Whatsapp on my PC
    Login into WeChat on my PC

Rob2020 and shri like this.

I've not only used them, I've written apps that use them...

Rob2020 and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Apparently you can use a QR Code to sign onto a wifi network so when you have guests in your home, you can just let them scan a qr code rather than give them a password.

Doesn't work with iphones though so can't test if this works.
    Be careful with that as the QR code will simply be representing the password .. best to have a router which has "guest mode" which gives guests a different password and different access rights to your network ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Be careful with that as the QR code will simply be representing the password .. best to have a router which has "guest mode" which gives guests a different password and different access rights to your network ...
    Which reminds me .... Didn't someone printed QR code stickers in Korea and Japan and stick them over billboards on the mass transit stations. Nicely redirecting consumers to a competitor or malware site (forget which one it was).

I use them to pay my internet bills at 7-11s. The contract is not in my name, and its monthly billing. 7-11 used to allow any crumbled bit of paper with the long account number on it for payment, but about a month or two ago they must need a scannable barcode, which meant a trek to PCCW to get one of these slips. I now use an app called Stocard, not only can it store barcodes for loyalty card like Mannings, Body Shop, etc, it also allows one to generate QR codes, so I've generated one for my PCCW internet payment, and just let the cashier at the 7-11 scan my phone screen

wtbhotia and theflyingbeagle like this.

Sometimes I want to share a link from my desktop PC to a phone, I use a QR Code generator extension in Chrome and then scan it on the phone/tablet
    Over complicated! I just book mark and the book mark will sync to mobile chrome (or other desktops) if you're signed into Chrome.
    TheBrit and theflyingbeagle like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I tried using a similar app at 759 and was told they only accepted the physical card ...

Original Post Deleted
    759 is different, as you get actual discount with the card being presented, thats why they don't take any barcode/QR code.

With Stocard, I've linked it to a US Starbucks account, I get free credit from time to time, and I have the QR code display on my Apple Watch.

The vast majority of linked services seem to be airlines and hotels.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast