Like Tree23Likes

PSA - Backup your stuff

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For what it's worth, I've been backing up to Crashplan for years - US$60 per year for unlimited backup from one machine, and I've got about 1.8TB in there now. I've never needed to do a full restore, thankfully, but I have pulled individual files once or twice, and it worked fine... They do have web and mobile access to your backups, which you can use as a simple cloud system, if needed.

TheBrit and timonoj like this.

Also, for the Google users out there, I forget to include this in my original post

When doing your backups, it's a good idea to also take a snapshot of everything in your Google Account
    Go to Google Takeout in order to download your stuff

takeout

timonoj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I should add I have a synology NAS with all my files. It has a Glacier app installed on it that runs once per week and dumps everything from NAS to Glacier automatically. So NAS with RAID 5 protection is where my files are and I access from there, and has basic protection if hard drive crashes etc, but Glacier backup is there for disaster recovery (loss of 2 or more disks or building burns down).
    I have pretty much the same setup, with the addition of a USB drive I throw copies of photos off the camera onto as well, its my equivalent of the box of photos sitting in the attic.

Awesome thread, thanks for compiling all the info.

Generally I find that I don't need to back up, because my entire music "collection" is on Spotify, all of my photos are on Google Photos with unlimited storage and I already upload any important documents to Google Drive encrypted with Boxcryptor. (which you stated in the OP)

Other than a music and photo collection, what files do you have that you need a NAS to store?

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Generally I find that I don't need to back up, because my entire music "collection" is on Spotify, all of my photos are on Google Photos with unlimited storage and I already upload any important documents to Google Drive encrypted with Boxcryptor. (which you stated in the OP)
    On that note... I would recommend you do a takeout from Google now and then, just in case..
    It's rare, but there have been cases of people being permanently locked out from their Google accounts
    rickyross likes this.

Good compilation.

I use a tiny Seafile server running from a Banana Pi (Seafile is kind of like Dropbox, but the storage is my own NAS)...So I have accounts for me and my family of around 100GB each.
    I keep an additional pics backup (also on Seafile so I can reach them anytime/anywhere), and some old backups of important data (these ones aren't on Seafile). Both the data of Seafile and a backup of the Seafile databases are on the NAS. Then the NAS has a crashplan backup mirroring everything (1.2TB at the moment) to the cloud. Considered Backblaze too, but I think they charge for downloading your data, while Crashplan is a fixed tariff for everything. Hope I don't have to restore a backup from the cloud, it'd take days to download it all (needless to say, like any of these services, they're not very fast).

Last edited by timonoj; 05-01-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    Rob2020 likes this.

I'll agree that's a very reasonable service. Backblaze is offering a new beta service where they charge ridiculously low for their backup, but they do charge a bit more if you actually need to download. Some other providers such as Amazon do similarly. Also Backblaze doesn't provide any Linux support, it's Windows only, so that forced my hand to Crashplan (with Crashplan it's possible to set a headless linux server, either from the BananaPi or directly from the NAS, then use/configure it as usual from your desktop GUI).