Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By shri

Firewire External Drive for Mac?

Closed Thread

Firewire External Drive for Mac?

Looking for recommendations for a new external harddrive for my iMac (2010 model - Firewire 800 works best).

Skimming through the forums I've noticed that many people have had problems with LaCie drives.

Anyone have anything else they recommend? Western Digital Passport or Seagate GoFlex?

At work we use a mixture of LaCie drives, the problem ones are mostly the USB ones, while the FireWire ones seems to break down much less.

How big in capacity are you looking for?

I've used a Samsung, La Cie, WD Passport without issue. 1T to 3T sizes.

Quick update - next to impossible to find firewire enclosures or drives in both the Wanchai Computer Center and 298.

Ended up finding a Firewire 2.5" case in a shop on the 3rd floor of 298 and bought a 500GB Crucial SSD to go along with it.

Cloning my drive as we speak and getting rid of tons of garbage that has accumulated on the Mac. (several junk folders - Mail, Developer kits which have accumulated over 50GB in total).

Also cleaning up startup (launchctl) stuff etc which has accumulated.

Hopefully will have restored this iMac 2010 that I simply do not want to give up, to its former glory.

Who says Macs do not slow down or need software maintenance?

Last edited by shri; 22-01-2016 at 09:37 AM.

dunno what it is but I wouldnt put a SSD in an external enclosure?

wont be all that fast anyway = and SSD have limited write re write...

I would have put the SSD on the inside of that antique to make it a bit zippier......

1 TB spinner = HK$500? 500 GB SSD --> $1200?

@scrambler - step 1 was to get the data off my internal drive and put it on something else which is reasonably fast and bootable as I very strongly suspect that my internal is at end of life.

I agree though, not an optimal situation by far and the internal drive does need to get replaced with a SSHD at some point.

Two days into this .. still cleaning up my existing drive (another topic .. another rant .. another day)

scrambler likes this.

i dont think u wasting time- after u clone into external enclosure - u can swop em over - thats how I did my mac pro /lap top/mac mini

then consider sticking a 'normal' drive into the external enclosure - cos when SSD fail it is suddenly and completely - the best surprise! (not) - so u want to get that clone going on an automatic basis,,

Even on the cloned and still external SSD - the comp is so much faster.

Will take the comp over in the next day or two to 298 to get them to connect the SSD into the internal enclosure. Or perhaps buy a larger SSHD hybrid drive.

scrambler likes this.

diy!

I bought the GLass sucker cups for about $50 - T6 and T8 - maybe a T10 Torx - and your in !

interesting its faster than the SATA - I need to experiment more,,

no time right now tho..

If you do it yourself, ensure that you have disconnected from the mains for at least 20 mins, trust me, the power supply will hold charge for that long (it's the circuit board you see in the top left) and will give you a nasty shock.

Also, ensure the environment you do it in is dusty free, preferably wearing lint free gloves, getting dust particles out or finger print smears is a bitch.