HKT broadband unreliable connection - VPN dropping

Closed Thread

HKT broadband unreliable connection - VPN dropping

I have HKT fibre 500 m/bit connection with a Huawei modem/router plus a NowTV box.
    Using this, my work VPN continually drops every 10-60 minutes but I'm at a loss why. I could use some advice before I point the finger at HKT and get someone to come and look at it.
    I've tried:
    - Turning off wifi and plugging directly into modem/router
    - Using different VPN access points in Asia, N America and Europe (my company has a few)
    - Using an app to ping google every 3 seconds (with VPN off) - left it running overnight, didn't drop a single ping
    - Speedtest (without VPN) gets me 400-450 down/up

No matter what VPN keeps dropping causing havoc with my work apps. If I go somewhere else and use someone else's wifi, it never drops.
    I'm guessing very short interruptions are occurring, things that would cause a tiny delay in ping, but enough to make a VPN disconnect. How can I prove this? And even if I can, what could HKT do? I suspect this Huawei modem/router is a POS, but I don't feel like committing to renting the more expensive one with no guarantee it will fix my problems.

Just buy your own router and plug it into the modem. That's what I'm doing. If your company uses openvpn you should get a router that supports ddwrt or openwrt and use it as a vpn client. I have the vpn running 24/7 on mine. Routers can be had for under 1000 hkd.

Thanks but I'm not sure that will help since I'm plugged directly into the modem now.
    And company forces me to use a VPN client on the PC unfortunately.

Why haven't you contacted their tech support?

I have, they replaced the modern and confirmed the fibre signal level is good, but I still have problems. Ping is fine. They are just going to blame my VPN unless I can prove it's their problem.