Like Tree4Likes

HELP!! How do I rid my mac of malware?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy HELP!! How do I rid my mac of malware?

I tried to download something from a couple of unfamiliar sites, and I suspect I downloaded something that has infected my Air Mac. Ads keep popping up, new pages suddenly appear telling me I have won some great prize and asking me to click to accept or decline (and when I do neither and try to close the page, I am unable to close it, and therefore had to forcibly shut down my computer. But the same thing keeps happening.).. Sometimes I am suddenly directed to a site which I did not open (e.g. on investments, or a hotel booking site.)

I googled how to clear malware and followed some of the instructions, e.g. "reset settings" in Chrome, or going to my finder to open the Applications folder and delete stuff that I thought was malware, going to the Library folder to delete items which I suspect are malware items etc. Each time I emptied trash and restarted my computer. BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE!!!

What can I do? Is there any app that I can download to clean up the malware? I am concerned about simply downloading something that turns up on a google search as it might in itself be a malware program. Is there any malware cleanup that I can get for my Mac? Please help! I don't know much about computers :-(

I recently called the Apple helpline to deal with this, and they had me install an app which scans for adware and malware. It scans quite quickly.
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

spode likes this.

I use MacKeeper. It has its pros and cons but overall it has worked well for me.

WHEW!! I downloaded Malwarebytes (suggested by anorak) and after using it, the problem seems to have gone! THANK YOU anorak!!!

And thanks to theflyingbeagle and jmbf as well. Saw your posts after I solved the issue using Malwarebytes. Will read them and see if there is anything I should be doing to prevent future attacks by malware!

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    I use MacKeeper. It has its pros and cons but overall it has worked well for me.
    Lololololol!!!! Stay away from Mackeeper, it's one of the worst programs out there for a Mac, brings more harm than good. Just google it and you want to, with great difficult, uninstall it.
    shri and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Lololololol!!!! Stay away from Mackeeper, it's one of the worst programs out there for a Mac, brings more harm than good. Just google it and you want to, with great difficult, uninstall it.
    Yeah I know it's got bad reviews but it's actually worked alright for me. Cleaned up my machine, freed up a lot of space and my machine actually runs better now than before.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Yeah I know it's got bad reviews but it's actually worked alright for me. Cleaned up my machine, freed up a lot of space and my machine actually runs better now than before.
    What did it cost you?

Benefit without the mention of the cost is not complete.

You can get malware bytes which is an awesome little app that should clear all possible infections as long as you keep it up to date.

I have no malware protection, anti virus or firewall installed on my Mac. I've had it for over 3 years and I've yet to be infected. I've not had to install the OS once yet.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast