Like Tree30Likes

Problem updating my NAS

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Original Post Deleted
    If you end up selling, let me know. 3TBx4 is just what I need.

Raid 10 to SHR is not possible. But you can back up your data and then reset your box.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 25-05-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Same same, good enough.

Original Post Deleted
    If you wanted to convert from RAID10 to SHR, I think you would probably have to rebuilt the NAS. If you have 4x4TB in RAID10 now, it means you must have 8TB of useable space. If you rebuilt the same 4x4TB disks as SHR, you would then get 12TB usable space. A 50% increase without buying anything. You would also still have one disk fault tolerance with SHR, meaning that if any one disk failed you just plug in a new one before a second one fails and you dont lose any data (but if two fails you lose everything).

To rebuild the NAS, I think you would need to copy all the data off it first, rebuild it as SHR, then copy the data back. Assuming you have 8TB data, this means you probably need a few usb disks and just copy all your data onto these usb disks temporarily so you can do the rebuild.
    civil_servant likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    You are thinking of a USB flash drive. I'm thinking more of a USB hard drive. You can get them in sizes from 1TB - 8TB. You might need a few. Or even if you have a latop or something may be able to move a few TB over there just temporarily

外置式儲存媒體分類及價格 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk
    East_coast likes this.

You are correct, buying that many USB keys would be pricey too. You can buy an 8TB external hd to backup. Or even cheaper, buy 10TB of Google storage for one month, but this may take some time to upload/download, and not sure whether your ISP would be happy about that.

East_coast likes this.

Correct. Although might be cheaper to buy 2 4TB HDD rather than 1 8TB. Also USB3 speed I think is faster than what you mention above. Also make sure the usb is plugged directly into NAS and you use the synology DSM file manager to do the transfer, that will get maximum speeds (as opposed to using Windows on your computer)

At the end of the whole exercise, you'll have 4TB extra storage on the NAS, and you'll also have a couple of usb hdd left over you can use for backups or for less important 'archives' that don't need to be on the NAS.

Original Post Deleted
    Hoarding digital data is still hoarding

Don't delete but achieve some of the less 'essential' media onto non-raid disks?
    Rob2020 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    The bigger question is what filing system do you use to be able to quickly find the content you want?

Yeah plex is a great add on for synology for filing and managing movies and TV shows. It auto downloads the cover art, descriptions, ratings, tags, etc and you can even set it to auto download subtitles in different languages.

Original Post Deleted

Why did you decide to use RAID 10 in the first place? Of all the RAID levels in home use, that's got to be both the least practical and the least common. It's typically used in datacentre environments, on servers that already use much faster spinning disks and have very high IO requirements (typically database servers).

The others have covered it, use a couple of 4TB swing disks to hold the data, rebuild the NAS with RAID SHR or 5, copy the data back on.

A variant would be to use a couple of 6TB swing disks, and after you've done copying the data back, slowly switch the 6TBs into the NAS itself. SHR should be able to make use of the additional capacity. Also if you start running out of space again, you're in a position where you can slot in 2 more 6TBs instead of having to toss all 4x4TB.
    The caveats to this: I don't understand SHR as it seems to be a Synology-specific thing so you'd have to look into this closer. 6TB disks could work out impractically expensive. Some 6TB and 8TB drives use a disk technology called Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) which makes them slower at writes but still okay for reads- this probably isn't going to be a problem in your use case.

I guess the above also applies to 8TB, but suspect they are on an impractical point on the $ to capacity curve.