Like Tree4Likes

Kindly do speedtest.net choosing NY, usa server and HK local server with wifi for 500M and 1000M subscribers.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kindly do speedtest.net choosing NY, usa server and HK local server with wifi for 500M and 1000M subscribers.

l am currently using 500M broadband, am satisfied but like to get faster, double would be ideal. as yourselves know speeds are never subscribed rate especially using wifi. but it be interesting what yourselves get. I get ~15-40Mbps for upload and download NY server
    and ~double that for HKG server. not quite 500M! though with ethernet cable it is much much closer.

here are results, note that over dozen browsers open and is already downloading media, computer on for hours and router for over day.

WTF?

You are mixing up at least three separate variables in your request but I'm currently too tired to explain what's wrong with the whole idea.

Did you buy a new router?

I get 22Mbps download and 25Mbps upload for the same New York server. For Hong Kong I get 300Mbps download and upload. That's all over wifi.

1Gbps Internet will not double your speed to New York. Your Hong Kong speed will also remain the same due to your wifi router. There's no need to upgrade.

Last edited by civil_servant; 21-05-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    Tioga likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tioga:
    l am currently using 500M broadband, am satisfied but like to get faster, double would be ideal. as yourselves know speeds are never subscribed rate especially using wifi. but it be interesting what yourselves get. I get ~15-40Mbps for upload and download NY server
    and ~double that for HKG server. not quite 500M! though with ethernet cable it is much much closer.

here are results, note that over dozen browsers open and is already downloading media, computer on for hours and router for over day.
    The speed is guaranteed as rated only from your home to the isp server. Doubling your plan from 500mbps to 1gbps, wont help much with the download speeds...
    Tioga and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    The speed is guaranteed as rated only from your home to the isp server. Doubling your plan from 500mbps to 1gbps, wont help much with the download speeds...
    Try checking your speed at www.fast.com This site is a new launch from Netflix and is arguably better than speedtest

Quote Originally Posted by nagernager:
    I get 22Mbps download and 25Mbps upload for the same New York server. For Hong Kong I get 300Mbps download and upload. That's all over wifi.

1Gbps Internet will not double your speed to New York. Your Hong Kong speed will also remain the same due to your wifi router. There's no need to upgrade.
    thanks for your valuable replies nagernager. I was about to buy an AC router and adapter, but not so sure now. since most of my internet use is to US or UK servers(?) eg yahoo.co.uk , facebook, youtube.com (where l watch mostly American or UK speakers and singers) and most importantly my US broker has it's server in US. with my 'measly 7 yr old dinosaur WRT320N router, 2012 mbpr and a 'slow' 500M broadband' l do get relatively impressive results compared to your self with AC router, 1000M net. nagernager, could you kindly do London server. I think I may wait for the 802.11 AH routers anticipated in ~2018. They will also have a much greater range. its highly likely l keep on to my mbpr until then, as its performance is solid, as good as new, 4 years later, it takes ~15 secs to load the desktop from pressing ON.

using fast.com on my PCCW 1000M

Name:  fast.PNG
Views: 706
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  5344590775.png
Views: 71
Size:  32.1 KB

on a 30 mbps line

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast