Like Tree9Likes

Need to run a network wire

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to run a network wire

Looking for an Ethernet aware handyman to run a wire between living room and one of the far bedrooms.
    Tried various techniques (repeaters etc) but cant get reliable signal in there - will do the old fashion thing and run a wire. Wife says it must be done neatly along edges and corners which leaves me out of the equation.

Any suggestions where to locate such a person? Any recommendations? Location is Happy Valley.

I ran mine out the window and tugged it in under the window sill.

How about Ethernet over power?

hongkongpom likes this.

HC - Seriously look at HomePlug (We have this setup across all our bedrooms and works just fine - 50-60mbps to the rooms which is more than enough for NAS and streaming). Was much cleaner than running wire...

We have these:

300Mbps AV500 Wi-Fi Powerline Extender Starter Kit TL-WPA4220KIT - Welcome to TP-LINK

bdw and hongkongpom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    HC - Seriously look at HomePlug (We have this setup across all our bedrooms and works just fine - 50-60mbps to the rooms which is more than enough for NAS and streaming). Was much cleaner than running wire...
    Tried it years ago and hated the fact that those things got really hot and it bothered me to keep them on full time.
    I'm seriously fire-paranoid.

Are they running much cooler these days?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Tried it years ago and hated the fact that those things got really hot and it bothered me to keep them on full time.
    I'm seriously fire-paranoid.

Are they running much cooler these days?
    Not sure how much cooler is cool enough for you.

We've been using them for 5+ years now. WiFi extended to all the bedrooms on a single SSID and we have a hard wired ethernet outlet at all the desks in the kid's bedroom / study etc. Same setup at the in-laws I think.

I do remember at some point wondering if they were running too hot (main homeplug is in a closed cabinet) and did some research, could not find anything related to them catching fire.. so stopped worrying.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Also, to answer your original question - this guy may be able to help. Might be expensive ... but do ask him if he has the crimping tools. Unfortunately the guy we use just does office work (multiple points ... so more money).

https://geoexpat.com/resources/housi...handymen/13114

Oldtimer and HowardCoombs like this.

OK - I'm off to 298 to try this one. I've tried everything else, may as well try this one too before running the wire.

The wife will thank you as she hates the idea of that horrible wire

Original Post Deleted
    i could with a cable puller as well

I have multi cables for surround sound speakers, but it's hard to feed through an ethernet cable so i have rely on slower wifi

HC, I had the same trouble. Went online to xiaomi and ordered a repeater for $139 or something cheap and works like a charm.

Couldn't get d link or Belkin to work, so I almost gave up to. Xiaomi impressed me and worked.

I used wifi analyzer app to find which room is the best to repeat in.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast