Like Tree8Likes

Frequent internet connection issues.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I get connection issues with my broadband from time to time which doesn't really bother me. Mostly i get one or two instances where I can't connect for a few minutes every few months. Sometimes the modem breaks and they replace it after a few days and other times there is is no connectivity for several hours before whatever caused the issue sorts itself out.
    I've been patient in dealing with PCCW staff when it comes to these things even though they are mostly useless at giving any information regarding these situations.

A few months ago for instance, they told me the modem had died when I called after several hours without any internet. The guy on the phone assured me there was no problem with the line or maintenance in the area that would cause a connectivity issue and it would take a few days to arrange a replacement modem. It wasn't after I had made arrangements with a friend to work from his house nearby and was about to leave with all my stuff packed when the connection suddenly started up again. The modem was a new replacement for one that actually failed for real a few months before. It continued to work well after that.

Recently I have had periods where my internet cuts out intermittently several times a day, for a period of 2-10 minutes and sometimes longer, for several days during the week. This first happened about a month ago and PCCW customer service were not able to figure it out during the line check. They said they would send over a technician to check it out but all he did was change the modem (after arriving 60 minutes late) and left.
    The issue continued to persist after the modem change but I was too busy to call them back right away and by the time I was able to do so, the situation had improved although it had not completely disappeared.
    The guy on the line could not tell me if there was any specific issue in our area that was causing the problem but I was able to speak to a supervisor who left a direct line for me to follow up on. I did call the building management to rule out anything they might be doing that would cause this, so I know it's not them.

Now it's happening again a few times over the last few days and a little over a dozen times that I've counted in the past 24 hours. I called again this morning, it was a different guy and not surprisingly they did not know anything and suggested the exact same thing as before without offering up any real explanation or solution.

Since they can't seem to give a reason for this, I was wondering if anyone else might be able to provide any type of input based on my description of the problem while I consider my options. This is not the first time I've dealt with their BS, and it doesn't even come close the the worst experience I've had with them but it's frustrating to have similar issues over several months without being given a clear answer.

When we moved here 8 years ago our Internet was fine. Now we get the same... intermjttent cut outs and very slow internet a lot of the time. Like you we have had technicians out and they replace stuff and it works for 5 minutes. Personally I think their circuits are overloaded.

Same thing, here. It used to ok but now is so bad I end up using mobile data quite often. PCCW have been around to our place and said our neighbours have the same problem. They replaced something in the big box down the street but that didn't help at all.

pccw likes to recycle their old modems, really old modems. their tactic is to sell you faster and more expensive plans. your solution is to upgrade or change providers.

imparanoic and jrkob like this.

I left pccw and been with hkbn for 3 years. I havent had a single major outage! 500M for 208hkd.

May be you need a line filter of sorts. Sometimes noisy electrical machines like vacuum cleaners, microwaves can cause lines to drop if they don't have filters.

Does your modem connect to the wall socket via a filter? Any repair guy at pccw should be aware of this though...

What kind of modem do you have? Huawei HG8045? I have had one of those die and replaced, but still have random drop outs. It's weird because I used an app to ping Google every few secs and it didn't drop a single ping over 24 hours. But for sure the connection (at least the wifi) is not working at times. My guess is the modem goes to sleep or something. On rare occasions the modem will decide to reset itself too.

PCCW tried to upsell me to a better modem but I don't feel like spending more money without really knowing what the issue is.

same here, I have adsl as there is no fiber in my street, and can only get PCCW. Their modem are absolute rubbish, I had to get mine replaced, just stopped working. I noticed that their modem tend to heat up very quickly, I don't get it, it's not like you're running high power processor in there. I wasn't home when they replaced it but the replacement is not a new modem, it's been used before for what I can tell. I get the same issue with connection, especially in the evening around 8pm, works better in the morning during the weekend. I had the same experience in London, too much load on the network. For a city that calls itself modern it's pretty rubbish internet service, my connection is faster on my phone.

I had the same issues with PCCW/Netvigator, Internet connection failing, download speeds dropping to a minimum and worst of all Now TV freezing every 10 min (had to change channels to get it running again)
    Had PCCW guys coming in like 5 times where the replaced the top box another time replaced the modem (but apparently to an older version) then came back and replaced modem again. All this didn't solve the issue for over 6 months.

A few months ago I got tired of it and left Netvigator for HKBN Fiber. Problems solved, Internet speed higher than ever and Now TV works perfectly!

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Thanks for all the suggestions to move to another supplier. How about suggestions for those of us who don't have that option LOL? That was the first thing I tried to do!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast