Like Tree33Likes

Gaming Desktop in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Solid PC, enjoy!

What case, cooling and peripherals will you bet getting?

I just did a photoshoot for the G.Skill Ripjaw KM780 keyboard and MX780 mouse, both very impressive pieces of gaming kit. Definitely recommend the keyboard, but I feel the Razer mice are more customizable for my needs.

I find cooling in HK is a bit of pain The heat and humidity I can cope with, but its the amount of dust thats a bitch.

Dust! Every computer I've looked at has clogged vents in six months.

timonoj likes this.

Ok, feel a bit better. Though I was the only one managing to get the fans completely clogged and hyperventilating after a few months.

Regarding dust. I find that slapping 3M Filtrete over intake vents completely negates the need to clean out PC innards. I have had a couple of machines protected with Filtrete for 3+ years which have never had any noticeable dust buildup. The Filtrete needs replacing every 3-4 months.

historian, Rob2020 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Try SE Computers in MKK. I've been dealing with the guy for 26 years since he was working at Jumbo.

Samuel ?+852 9152 1097?

He speaks good English, guarantees his work and is a very decent guy

J
    Hi JaredHK, just curious...They don't deliver the thing once built right?
    Second...they seem to itemize the prices, is this correct? In Wan Chai every shop I walk by tries to tell me a price as a whole...a bit more difficult.

I don't think anyone delivers. The usual solution is chuck it into a taxi which is very easy. They want to show you the PC is working at the store when they hand it over to you. The last thing they want to do is to get involved in troubleshooting conversations at a customer's home (a complete waste of their time).

I could be wrong, I've never even bothered to ask about delivery as the taxi option is so easy.

Itemised pricing is completely normal for a parts-chosen PC, even for WCC. I'd only expect a single price for a generic and budget-oriented 'kit' build off a pamphlet.

shri, timonoj and imparanoic like this.

Perfect, I'll do taxi if needed thanks!
    Yeah well, WCC sales people have been emailing me quotations with only a final price. I asked them to itemize everything with prices as I asked for the quotations, and still got it with just a final price. I replied them to itemize them "as requested", not sure they're very willing. I'll keep trying...

Well, the issue there is probably that retailers here don't want to do stuff over email.

English isn't their native language, and if you're on the far end of an email you're a less plausible sales prospect than someone who is standing right in front of them with a wallet.

Look at how these stores operate- they have a bunch of sales staff crammed into a tiny retail footprint. They simply don't have the space for their staff to have PC access so itemised lists from a store usually come in the form of scribbles on a bit of paper anyway, not something carefully typed out. These are places that operate on razor thin margins and fast turnover, they simply can't operate the way you seem to imply they would.

I would not shop via email for a PC unless I already had some kind of relationship with the store. And even then, I would only do email for pretty basic prepackaged stuff.

Last edited by jgl; 07-09-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Yup, I asked them for the visit card to keep discussing prices via whatsapp/email. When I was in person they just would take a pre-made setup from a pamphlet and start adding "+280HKD" etc to the new items so they'd fit my request...without explaining how much the original item was in the first place. I tried but they really didn't budge. I imagined with more time/calmer they'd be able to properly quote everything, so I asked for it in the email too...but nah, still just final price. I might just have to go to the one mentioned in MKK.