Like Tree10Likes

NAS Advice 2016

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Apparently there is a difference between normal hard drives and a NAS hard drive.
    My IT guys did a test and used a normal hard drive in their Synology after a year the drive broke down.
    They went to the shop/manufacturer as it was still under warranty but after checking they told him that he used it in a NAS. So apparently they can tell (there must be a chip in there or so)

Anyway I have used the WD Red for almost 4 years without a failure.

My advice go for the NAS drives if you are using a NAS (and you get 3 or 5 years warranty)

Oh and according to the same IT guys who did also a test with the 5400 vs 7200 rpm drives; there is a small difference in speed but not worth it to go for 7200. (Like JGL said)

Golden Hawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    Apparently there is a difference between normal hard drives and a NAS hard drive.
    My IT guys did a test and used a normal hard drive in their Synology after a year the drive broke down.
    They went to the shop/manufacturer as it was still under warranty but after checking they told him that he used it in a NAS. So apparently they can tell (there must be a chip in there or so)
    Anyway I have used the WD Red for almost 4 years without a failure.

My advice go for the NAS drives if you are using a NAS (and you get 3 or 5 years warranty)

Oh and according to the same IT guys who did also a test with the 5400 vs 7200 rpm drives; there is a small difference in speed but not worth it to go for 7200. (Like JGL said)
    Unless something has changed, I have never read anything about desktop drives being prohibited from being run in a 24x7 environment, and I would highly doubt that a 'shop' would be able to get into the board of a dead drive to figure out how it'd been used. This sounds more like a case of typical HK customer service, where they just tell the customer to bugger off.

I could be wrong, I haven't bothered reading the fine print of hard drive warranties for maybe five years or so.

If you have read the Backblaze articles on drive reliability, you'll note that they use thousands (tens of thousands?) of consumer grade drives in an exceptionally high use enterprise environment.

However: Please don't do what every second person who talks about hard drives on the internet does, and that is basing your entire recommendation on a sample size of one. I've never had the automatic transmission of a car stop working on me either, that doesn't make auto gearboxes any more reliable than manuals.
    timonoj likes this.

Well, don't get a Netgear if you're intending to hook it up to IP cameras.

Video surveillance recorders RIDDLED with 0-days • The Register

So far the thing about specific NAS drives is supposed to be specific firmwares, and so far it seems to be rather unproven. As in, there's a lot of talk, and anecdotal evidence here and there, but not a really proven study clearly pointing a noticeable difference. AFAIK Backblaze uses normal desktop hard drives on their setups. Since they live from doing cloud storage, they use hard drives faster than anyone out there, and the make their statistics public. They release every few months their HDD failure rates.

As for which NAS, better stick to Qnap/Synology. Way better app compatibility and community support. If you're only sharing files, you can get to the lower class ones, maybe without HDMI port and using an ARM processor (they still handle files pretty damn quick, but they're not very expandable in RAM/CPU for the future).

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Unless something has changed, I have never read anything about desktop drives being prohibited from being run in a 24x7 environment, and I would highly doubt that a 'shop' would be able to get into the board of a dead drive to figure out how it'd been used. This sounds more like a case of typical HK customer service, where they just tell the customer to bugger off.

I could be wrong, I haven't bothered reading the fine print of hard drive warranties for maybe five years or so.
    ...Exactly. There's no fair use for a HDD. Theoretically it might be possible to infer where the drive has been used based on the amount of times the unit has been spinned up/stopped, and the head moved around/parked, by reading the SMART info. And from that I guess you can pull out of your arse whether it was on a normal PC or on a server/NAS. But yeah, I highly doubt they went to that sofistication, and most likely figured a quick excuse to try to avoid a warranty replacement.
    Last edited by timonoj; 09-08-2016 at 03:39 PM.