PCCW 8M DSL vs i-Cable 200M?

Closed Thread

Question PCCW 8M DSL vs i-Cable 200M?

Hi everyone,

In my new flat I have an option of existing PCCW 8M DSL connection at $318pm, already installed (contract transfer for 21 months), or 24 months of iCable 200M at $199 (with some rebates etc reduced to $150). The current occupier and the holder of the PCCW contract curses i-Cable left and right. Lots of bad words about the company on the internet as well. But PCCW also has many negative comments.

HKHB (or whatever it's called) isn't available in the building. Which of the available options would you prefer?

This similar question has been discussed previously... I think we all threw our opinions on a very similar situation:
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread312869.html
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread285722.html
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread228445.html

By the way, I'm one of those that also starts mentioning someone's mother at the thought of icable.

Yeah, I read at least two of them, but wanted to see if there were fresh opinions out there. At the moment i-Cable is cursed more often than PCCW. But the latter bastards charge twice for (on paper) slow service! I hate that...

I wonder if there are viable mobile alternatives today...

You should go with the lower price here. That means I'm suggesting you to go for the iCa ble. With less money, you can have the connection for 3 more months.

Besides, you already hate PCCW. Don't you think it's wise to dump what you hate?

Our contract is expiring at the end of this calendar year as well. We are currently on HKBN paying somewhere in the neighbourhood of $300/month. Dang-it, I could have sworn that when I signed us up for the package, it was only about $150/month.

The $318/month fee being offered is for 1000MB speed and phone line. A similar plan but 500MB speed is $278/month.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Is anybody actually happy with icable? Im moving apartments and have been with PCCW which is a complete nightmare so I really want to ditch them. But icable is my only alternative...

Well aware how Deleted User feels. Curious about other case studies

Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker:
    Is anybody actually happy with icable? Im moving apartments and have been with PCCW which is a complete nightmare so I really want to ditch them. But icable is my only alternative...
    My in-laws have iCable and their usage is quite basic - web, email, some youtube, streaming music etc. No fancy torrent / bulk downloads or gaming. Quite happy with their service. Like Deleted User, they did not want to pay the rather ridiculous hike that PCCW was proposing on a renewal 3-4 years ago. Have not heard any complaints from them and I've not had to make tech support trips to help them reset their connection