Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 1 Post By dumbdonkey

wireess router recommendations

wireess router recommendations

Hi all

I am looking to replace the pccw wirless router that doesn't seem to work well inise the bedrooms in our 870 sqft (net) apartment. The router is in the living room in front of the corridor. I want to avoid having to setup wirless repeaters or powerline etc solutions.
    The concrete and steel walls mght act as hinderance but is there any powerfull router you can recommend?
    many thanks! (budget upto 2000$), offcourse the lower the better

I would be careful of getting a router said to be powerful, I know the Netgear ones are powerful and fast, however, they tend to need restarting regularly as they drop out. I have an Apple Airport Extreme now and it is working great.

Install "inSSIDer" program and SEE how good/bad the signal from your router really is in different rooms.

It will also show you how flooded out you are from "outsiders" Wi-Fi signals.

Reset your router to operate on Channel 13, few user up there!

Signal checkers and stronger routers don't always help. I bought an expensive router, waste of money is what I'll say. Using AirPlay is slow still.

Added Xiaomi WiFi extenders and helped cover the entire home.

muzzdang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bsc1280:
    Hi all

I am looking to replace the pccw wirless router that doesn't seem to work well inise the bedrooms in our 870 sqft (net) apartment. The router is in the living room in front of the corridor. I want to avoid having to setup wirless repeaters or powerline etc solutions.
    The concrete and steel walls mght act as hinderance but is there any powerfull router you can recommend?
    many thanks! (budget upto 2000$), offcourse the lower the better

Looking again at your missive, I was taken by your malapropism - perhaps "wirless" ought to be read as "witless".

I quickly dumped the PCCW issued crap Wi-Fi router and filed it away somewhere safe till I could dump it & the grossly overpriced skinhead Li's Spamvigator "service" for the much less expensive i-Cable that I've been using for 3+ years without complaint. ($170 p.m. with 5 months FREE on a 2 year contract).

We use i-Cable for T.V., ISP & telephone service - all the lot down a coaxial cable. And all at a considerable savings on PCCW's offerings.

i like this
    https://www.asus.com/HK/Networking/RTAC68U/
    had a for a few years now. about $1500

larrysanchez likes this.

"Dumbdonkey" stated:
    i like this
    https://www.asus.com/HK/Networking/RTAC68U/
    had a for a few years now. about $1500

But, if "Drunken Spider with inky legs writings" ain't your forte - then try:

https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/RTAC68U/

..for an English text.

I looked at this, or perhaps it was a similar Asus - years ago in Computer 298 - but decided against it on three counts.

1) too "tall" for my shelf. - & reminded me of the God awful "Spamvigator" crap that had been foisted on me!

2) included "a" 5GHz mode which the majority of my Laptops can't access !

3) in my circumstances, it was NOT a co$t effective purchase.

Seems to me that the vast majority of even Pro-sumer grade laptops have dumped the Wi-Fi 5GHz from their offerings.

The last one I had which did include 5GHz functions was my IBM T60 - but I sold the T60 ages ago.

Caveat Emptor ! Don't pay excessive $s for features that you can't even make use of.... and I've read that 5GHz Wi-Fi are rather restricted in range too, something that "BSC1280" was fighting against.

I think just a wifi extender will work better than an expensive so called powerful router. I'm not saying that powerful wifi do not work, but I'm just saying that they are overpriced.

Lot's of us like to have less devices as possible (such as me). But it doesn't hurt much to have an extra. So, now it's completely up to you.

A quote from the "Lucifer Brothers" AX website :-

2 x Wifi Ranger Extenders

District Jordan
    Posted 11/18/2016
    Phone: Not specified
    Price: 350 HKD

1 x AC750 TP Link Range extender
    1 x TP Link TL-WA850RE

Both excellent condition 9 months old, sorry can't locate the receipt , but both perfect working order.

Selling as a pair.

Meet Jordan MTR Exit E

Next week available

Use that website at you own risk - even SLIGHTLY critical posting get deleted - or so other users have said.