Like Tree3Likes

Taking a PC on the plane!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taking a PC on the plane!

I'm flying to Australia and I want to take my PC with me. What is the best way to do it? I was going to take it with me and put it in the overhead compartment or under the seat but a friend says that it's too heavy :/ I also thought to put it in the baggage in between the clothes and ask to put a "Fragile" tag on it but I've read that the parts inside will still get damaged if I do that. The only other option is to take it apart and wrap each part but i don't know how to take it apart and how to put it back together again. Any ideas?

Last edited by Tea addict; 09-01-2017 at 02:27 AM.

i've checked plenty of notebooks before. how is your pc different to notebooks where "things" will get damaged?

Do you mean desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea addict:
    I'm flying to Australia and I want to take my PC with me.
    How much does it weigh?

I just took a large "tower" PC overseas in a suitcase a few weeks ago. I went to a stationary store and bought a large roll of bubble wrap for $60 and wrapped the thing up a couple of times and fixed it with masking tape. Then I put it into a large suitcase, put my favorite pillow in the remaining gap and off I went to the airport. All was good.

Carry-on luggage is limited to 8kg and a certain size on most airlines, so I believe you will have to check the suitcase with your PC in. Mine was certainly too big for a carry-on suitcase.

Vrindavan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    How much does it weigh?
    I think around 6kg.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Do you mean desktop?
    Yes. This is what I have http://www.dell.com/hk/en/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd

I think around 6kg.
    Take 100LL's advice, wrap it and check it in.
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    I just took a large "tower" PC overseas in a suitcase a few weeks ago. I went to a stationary store and bought a large roll of bubble wrap for $60 and wrapped the thing up a couple of times and fixed it with masking tape. Then I put it into a large suitcase, put my favorite pillow in the remaining gap and off I went to the airport. All was good.

Carry-on luggage is limited to 8kg and a certain size on most airlines, so I believe you will have to check the suitcase with your PC in. Mine was certainly too big for a carry-on suitcase.
    Is bubblewrap a must? If I just wrap all my clothes and towels around it, will it do the trick?
    civil_servant likes this.

Is bubblewrap a must? If I just wrap all my clothes and towels around it, will it do the trick?
    Yes. Is your suitcase a hardshell?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Yes. Is your suitcase a hardshell?
    It's kind of in the middle. It's not plastic but it's not just a canvas either. It's made of a sturdy fabric and it holds its shape, unless you press hard.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast