Like Tree18Likes

New 17 inch workstation laptop

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by alfread:
    Just wanna ask, are those laptop genuine? The parts and stuff inside?

it seems like a pretty good deal and i might consider getting it as well.
    One would hope so, considering its bought from Amazon.

Also Asus gives you 2 years international warranty, so you can take it to the service station in HK to be repaired.
    shri, emx and TheBrit like this.

Original Post Deleted
    While I am not a gamer, I understand all in one's suck for gaming as they are normally low powered.

Why don't you look at the Acer Predator 21x, lol?

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-p...r-21x/preview/

New laptop arrived today, a day earlier than expected!!

shri, JaredHK and vmlinuz like this.

Just an update.

So, new plugs for US laptops are some tiny plastic three prong and won't work with any of the usual adaptors I have. Luckily I had my old asus adaptor, so that works.

One other issue, it seems for Asus USA the warranty is only 1 year (unlike HK or Canada where it is two years standard). This is however international.

You can buy Square Trade third party warranty through Amazon for about USD200 for an additional two years though. They won't "ship to Hong Kong" but the terms of the warranty are worldwide. Asus won't sell you an extended warranty.

I had made this purchase before I knew about the extended warranty that my Citi Prestige card provided unfortunately (and had used another card).

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I had made this purchase before I knew about the extended warranty that my Citi Prestige card provided unfortunately (and had used another card).
    Might be worth calling up to check on the T&Cs on that card, AMEX provides some kind of extended warranty and return function on some of their cards, but when I called to check, was told that you had to physically be in the store to buy the goods and internet shopping was excluded.
    pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Might be worth calling up to check on the T&Cs on that card, AMEX provides some kind of extended warranty and return function on some of their cards, but when I called to check, was told that you had to physically be in the store to buy the goods and internet shopping was excluded.
    Cheers, I'll check for next time with Citi.

Re Square Trade, technically it only applies to residents of the USA. I guess I could buy and just try and use it and claim I'm "abroad".

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    While I am not a gamer, I understand all in one's suck for gaming as they are normally low powered.

Why don't you look at the Acer Predator 21x, lol?

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-p...r-21x/preview/
    Nowadays there's also a trend called EGPU: Last two years laptops/ultrabooks have a USB-C port *sometimes* capable of thunderbolt speeds, allowing to hook it to a full desktop GPU in a small case on your desk...The USB-C acts as PCIE connection. So you have an ultrabook to carry around, but when you hook it on the desk at home, it turns into a full gamer battlestation. The GPU cases aren't very cheap though.

Further update. Added a Samsung 960 Evo m2 to the machine. 250GB HKD1050. This thing is so fast. Windows 10 boots in around 10 seconds now!

I also swapped out the included Toshiba 1TB 2.5inch hdd with my existing Seagate 2TB 2.5inch hdd for data storage.

emx likes this.

I'd say 10 seconds is even slow for an SSD, unless you count a rather long BIOS messages time. The moment it finishes BIOS bootup, from a SSD it's around 4-5 seconds to get a login screen. With Linux Neon wait time is even shorter.