Like Tree2Likes

4G/LTE ethernet internet for Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 4G/LTE ethernet internet for Hong Kong

Our PCCW/Netvigator fixed internet is most unreliable now - besides being very slow. We are in an area that doesn't yet have fiber.

We used to have a 4G LTE contract for 20 GB and 488 HKD per month. It was super fast, the only problem was that after 20GB, the internet stopped for the rest of the month. Well, initially it was 99 HKD for each extra GB, with no warning. One of the first months, the bill was over 7,000 HKD (!!!). With youtube and streaming, 20GB is not very much. Add to that modern tablets and smartphones, it won't take long.

When we got PCCW cable internet, we didn't have the 20GB limitation any more. Slower was OK, but now more and more unreliable - it hasn't been working at all for 5 days now, using iPhone hotspot for everything (including writing this post).

We still have this one2free router, having wifi and 4 ethernet ports built in. This meant we could connect it to our existing router (for backup, WiFi printer and so on). Looking at various websites from one2free/CSL, 3, PCCW etc, I don't see any contracts for use in such devices. Only wifi boxes with - say - 10 maximum users (and no ethernet).

Is this segment really dead in HK? Too many people living too close makes it unrealistic to offer mobile internet for "home use"? Many other countries offer competitive solutions based on 3G/4G/LTE and even other mobile networks.

Please advise ... we really want internet back again. No need for super fast internet, just a bit more reliable than what we have now. Searching for a while online now, couldn't find any.

Have you tried changing to a new router/modem? Sometimes it might not be the provider's fault

What part of town are you in? Gold Coast? Are you living on a boat out there?

john.doe1985 likes this.

Have you tried turning off and on your computer again?

The HK market is pretty small and there are only 4 mobile network providers. You have a few more broadband providers (HKBN, Smartone), but that's it.

Smartone has a connected device plan:
    SuperCare Plans - Smartphone & Tablet Plans| SmarTone

HKBN has an "unlimited" package, but subject to FUP after 6GB
    https://www.hkbn.net/new/en/mobile-p...ml#hkbn-mobile

FUP "When monthly data usage reaches 6GB, data service continues without speed throttling or data capping, but access to network resources will be given lower priority and data service experience may be affected, until the first day of the following bill cycle."

If you're looking for a router to share the connection, you want something like this: 有關 《TP-Link TL-MR6400》的搜尋結果 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

Tried all the suggested things - and more. The PCCW technician did a remote reset, which has worked previously when there was problems. Tried it twice, and despite the DSL light being on, no internet service could be established.
    This Saturday morning, a technician should arrive - let's see if he can fix it.

In any case we are looking for a solution based on 4G/LTE, to be independant of the cabling altogether. We don't need high speeds, just reliability.

I saw the HKBN plan mentioned. "Unlimited" = 6GB, after that it still works at lower priority. But that's almost 500 HKD/month for something where "fair use" is based on typical usage from many years ago. Another plan has 3GB, then 30 HKD for every extra 500MB. Sounds fair, until you realise how much data streaming videos and synchronising/updating computers/tablets/phones require.

Quote Originally Posted by LGB:
    Our PCCW/Netvigator fixed internet is most unreliable now - besides being very slow. We are in an area that doesn't yet have fiber.
    I lived with average speeds of 1.5Mb for years and it was perfectly fine for almost everything. Surely the fixed line Netvigator connection is fine for that, and cheaper?

I think I found what we need:

csl

The 298 HKD option, with the 150 "Capacity Data Package(29) 24/7 hassle-free mobile internet use for just $150/month"

A total of 298 + 150 + 18 = 466 HKD per month. A found two of my friends now who has this, one of them used 200 GB last month within his entire household, with no problems.

Funny that it's exactly the same as the https://www.hkbn.net/new/en/mobile-p...ml#hkbn-mobile plan - except the latter you still have to add 18 HKD.

One of the conditions (section 2) under the (29) note):

"You may enjoy this Service by subscribing to our designated mobile service plan. If you have already subscribed to our Service and have a Commitment Period with us, we will align the Commitment Period of this Service with your monthly mobile service plan. If there is no Commitment Period in your existing service plan, the Commitment Period of this Service will be 24 months."

I now believe 3HK has some similar deal, so we will go check out all the outlets, and see what they have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by LGB:
    I think I found what we need:

csl

The 298 HKD option, with the 150 "Capacity Data Package(29) 24/7 hassle-free mobile internet use for just $150/month"

A total of 298 + 150 + 18 = 466 HKD per month. A found two of my friends now who has this, one of them used 200 GB last month within his entire household, with no problems.

Funny that it's exactly the same as the https://www.hkbn.net/new/en/mobile-p...ml#hkbn-mobile plan - except the latter you still have to add 18 HKD.
    Smartone 3 and csl all has these plans which comes down to similar pricing. Just make sure the 4g bandwidth in your area can accomodate the line's promised speeds.

I used to live in sham shui po district and got 20+mbps for entire time and can use upto 100gb a month with smartone. Recently moved to tseung kwan o area and am getting 5Mbps avg. They say infrastructure limitation and are upgrading.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast