Like Tree7Likes

Mesh / Powerline / WiFi Extenders or Repeaters

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    We have opted for the landline at $19/month. I know many people do not use it anymore but we still find it to be a worthwhile convenience for us.

Bad news regarding the landline. I must have heard incorrectly because shortly after we received an email from the PCCW representative to confirm our order. The price for the landline is $90/month, NOT $19/month. It's useful but not THAT useful.

The PCCW service will be installed on Monday 17th July. I will report back at that time to let you all know what the AC68U router is capable of. I don't expect it to be sufficient to provide WiFi to the upper floors so I will consider trying powerlines first.

I thought I read somewhere that PCCW owns the lines and then the other companies 'rent' the lines from them or something like that.

It is 1000M or 1G fiber optic.
    This is true for DSL services (does anyone still use this?) since it goes through the phone lines.

Some broadband providers seem to be leasing fiber from HKBN, but since fiber is point to point, everyone else has to pull their own cable into the building. You can see the different companies in your area from the access panels in the ground/sidewalks.

I currently have the Asus RT-AC68U router and we will be moving to a 2 level split home on DB (so there will be 4 levels plus 2 roof tops for a total of 6 levels).
    Just to make sure the obvious hasn't been missed: The place you are moving into doesn't have data ports already installed? Because if it does, using wifi access points attached to your router via physical cable is hugely better than using repeaters, mesh or powerline.

And you're not getting any degree of renovation done? Because it might be possible to run data cabling behind skirting board (i.e. no need to place conduits under the floor or within walls).
    shri and CarterTG like this.

You may be surprised, in lower density areas with fewer contention, one Asus AC68U can travel a long way. Stick the device in DB and I will not be surprised if it covers a whole multi level house, whereas the same device in HK or Kowloon wont even cover an 800sqf single level place. So definitely try it out before you buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    You may be surprised, in lower density areas with fewer contention, one Asus AC68U can travel a long way. Stick the device in DB and I will not be surprised if it covers a whole multi level house, whereas the same device in HK or Kowloon wont even cover an 800sqf single level place. So definitely try it out before you buy anything.
    Maybe if the place was made of timber and drywall (US/Australia/Canada). Not if it's made of concrete and rebar (HK). Shri and I believe TB have already pointed this out in the thread.

This has got nothing to do with contention, it's to do with signal propagation through different materials.

I've tested this with a wifi point at home... it can travel through one wall, but not two even if the two devices are within three metres of each other. On the other hand, if the AP (Asus N66U) is placed near a window, I can pick it up fifty metres away if I'm in line of sight.