Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By P.G

PCCW contract transfer : What happens if the plan has to be changed ? (Fiber contract transfered to "8Mbps only" walkup building, for example)

Closed Thread

PCCW contract transfer : What happens if the plan has to be changed ? (Fiber contract transfered to "8Mbps only" walkup building, for example)

Something on which PCCW didn't give me a firm answer yet : In the case of a PCCW contract relocation, if the plan can't apply to the new place (a Fiber plan that's transferred to a place where Fiber isn't available, for example), what happens ? I guess that the plan gets updated, but is there a financial penalty besides the 680HKD transfer fee ? Is the contract expiry date reset (which would be lame...) ? Anyone has any experience with that ?

I'm moving to a walk-up soon, and it's only covered by the infamous "8Mbps, 298HKD, 24 months contract" PCCW plan. I'm considering getting a second hand plan to avoid the long commitment duration, and I'm wondering how it'll goes if a different plan is transferred to me...

Yes I did it recently. They waived the transfer and connection fees, reduced my monthly charge for the slower speed and connected the new line in 3 days. Service for once! Just call them and ask

The same just happened to me. The plan gets updated to the 8MB plan for a 24 month contract at HK$298. I may have been out of contract already, but a new contract at the slower 8MB starts again.

I was paying HK$228 for fibre so complained why should I pay more for a much slower speed. After lots to back & forth I'm now paying HK$268 per month, 5 free months, relocation charge waived. Good luck!

The first question is: does the speed affect you much?

I had a situation where a friend's company was re-locating. They are in the web-based solution business so speed directly affects their business. On the first enquiry, PCCW said they don't have fiber optic cable and so we would need to downgrade our speed. We found out that the neighbours of the same building and same floor were also using PCCW and had fiber optic (!!!) so we went back to PCCW. They replied saying they were in full capacity and could not offer it to us but would compensate for lowering the speed. We demanded to terminate the existing contract on the grounds that the contract has drastically changed (and we would not be paying the termination fees) and that it was not that they didn't provide what we wanted but just that they couldn't due to capacity. When transferred to termination department and discussing the situation, they suddenly could arrange the fiber optic cable line! This took a long time and I really don't see why this whole process was necessary.

So, go speak to your neighbours and landlord to understand whether the building really do not have fiber optic cable.

Also, see if you have alternatives (e.g. another company providing fiber optic in your building).

If PCCW just dont have capacity for you or you have other companies as option then it would give you better grounds to "argue" with PCCW and get them to at least waive the transfer fee and perhaps even continue with your old contract (with the same end date).

Andrew@Village likes this.

Thank you all, that's good information! It's good to know that PCCW is open to negotiations on occasions.
    (P.G. : Sadly, it's PCCW only, where I'm going)