Like Tree23Likes

Time for a VPN

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Time for a VPN

Given all the crap that is happening, perhaps I don't want China reading all my emails. On the other hand, I don't want to have to pay for huge amounts of extra data and have my web pages crawl... so - what are suggestions for a good VPN for someone based in HK who travels a lot?

Ideally very fast, and not expensive. Should work with a Mac.

I'm not a hacker and I don't do anything illegal (except criticise China from time to time, which seems to be becoming more and more illegal in HK!).

And while I can figure out simple IT stuff, nothing complicated please

I use ExpressVPN. It's cheap if you sign up for a year and always been reliable.

ExpressVPN.

huey205

ExpressVPN

Works well in China and has very good live chat support

Used HMA a year back. Was happy with it. Dont use any VPN now though.

Yes, was just in China and Express VPN was working. You can get a free trial period, so maybe do that for the next time you go and then later sign up for a service so that you maximize the time it's useful for you.

Another suggestion: you can set up a VPN from your home and then connect to your home from China. I did this recently and it did work, but wasn't not always reliable and sometimes took around 5 attempts before it would connect and it never worked when I was using mobile data (and with the wifi at one location it would never work). I felt it worked pretty well for the first week and a half and then it stopped working so well (was very challenging to get it to connect), but this could have just been my imagination and growing impatience.

misshappy26 likes this.

How is the reliability? I've used free Vpn's that would go on and off but still able to download torrents or stream programs that normally would be blocked.

I was in China 2 days ago and NAS' PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN didn't work. Not sure why, there was an update for it though. Not sure that's related.

My Shadowsocks wasn't switched on, but usually works perfectly.

NAS VPN usually takes 10 Seconds to connect, you NAS need to wake up first. Shadowsocks connects instantly, I run that on an (usually but not that day) always ON Raspberry Pi.

Then while in China I switched Lantern and that work perfectly.

ExpressVPN no issues so far, fast and reliable.

Wow. Consensus. Rare! Thanks everyone.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast