Like Tree7Likes

Amazon Fire Tablet

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Amazon Fire Tablet

Looking for a cheaper tablet that my toddler can play with/watch videos on. After little angel threw my iPad and badly cracked it Anyone have the Amazon Fire? I assume it works similar to the Kindle regarding billing - i.e. I have a US and UK Amazon account and so I can purchase apps/books/videos from those countries. Feedback welcome, thanks!

I've got a Fire 8. Works nice but you lack the Google Play store support. Most of the big apps are available but I haven't seen Youtube yet - just "bookmarks" thart link you to the website...

shri and merchantms like this.

I bought a Xiaomi Pad for 1000RMB for the sole purpose of watching videos. It works well in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I bought a Xiaomi Pad for 1000RMB for the sole purpose of watching videos. It works well in that regard.
    Amazon Fire is cheaper, USD$50-100.

Worried about the YouTube thing though hmm

regardless what tablet you get, if you put a good cover on it then the screen can always crack when your little on has his/her next tantrum LOL

u can buy a samsung tab 7 for $100US

merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    I've got a Fire 8. Works nice but you lack the Google Play store support. Most of the big apps are available but I haven't seen Youtube yet - just "bookmarks" thart link you to the website...
    There are lots of instructions on the web on how to do this... Side-load the Google Play store and then install all the apps available on Google Play such as YouTube, etc. You can also install a custom launcher to make it look like a "regular" Android tablet so you hide the Fire Tablet UI which basically is a shopping tool for Amazon's own content.

I did this on my mom's Fire tablet and she's quite happy with it, she uses it mainly for email, YouTube, and Skype.
    merchantms and Dankleness like this.

Thanks Madall! For the most part I am fine with it as is, and don't mind the Amazon look and feel too much and really just use it for reading and watching video. I figured there would be a way around and might give it a try. I only bought it because I was in the middle of a round the world trip over the course of 10 days or so and my Samsung Tab shit the bed on me. Picked it up from some Best Buy vending machine in the states - somewhere down in southern US near riotsville.

Quote Originally Posted by madal1:
    There are lots of instructions on the web on how to do this... Side-load the Google Play store and then install all the apps available on Google Play such as YouTube, etc. You can also install a custom launcher to make it look like a "regular" Android tablet so you hide the Fire Tablet UI which basically is a shopping tool for Amazon's own content.

I did this on my mom's Fire tablet and she's quite happy with it, she uses it mainly for email, YouTube, and Skype.
    So just to confirm: This bypasses all the ads that would otherwise pop up all over an Amazon tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    So just to confirm: This bypasses all the ads that would otherwise pop up all over an Amazon tablet?
    Everything but the ad shown on the locked screen (assuming you didn't pay extra for the ad-free version).
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    wait... there are no ads that pop up all over... what exactly do you mean?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast