• 2 Post By East_coast
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By emx

Firewall installation in our office network

Closed Thread

Firewall installation in our office network

Hi guys.

Here's what we are trying to do:

1. To be able to block certain websites for certain computers. We have around 13 computers here. We want to assign each of the PCs a static IP and choose what websites are blocked for each computer.

2. We want around 2 admins who can control all of the websites for different computers in (1)

I think a simple firewall would do? I am not sure what to buy or how to configure it. Is it easy to do so?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scumbag:
    Hi guys.

1. To be able to block certain websites for certain computers. We have around 13 computers here. We want to assign each of the PCs a static IP and choose what websites are blocked for each computer.

2. We want around 2 admins who can control all of the websites for different computers in (1)

I think a simple firewall would do? I am not sure what to buy or how to configure it. Is it easy to do so?

Thanks!
    Can't you just block it using your router settings?

https://kb.netgear.com/24053/How-do-...user-interface

Quote Originally Posted by scumbag:
    Hi guys.

Thanks!
    Doable... Easy? Not impossibly difficult, but from the picture I am constructing from your post, you don't have anyone who is experienced with this (these "admins" meaning administrative office staff and not systems admins".

Couple of suggestions... look at a home router that can take individual firewall rules and see if you can build a list one by one (primitive and tedious).

Or download something like the Untangle demo and see if you can figure out the GUI. It'll probably do what you want it to but I haven't tried that limit.

Another thought: Maybe the "parental controls" settings available on many SOHO routers could be wrangled into blocking specific sites instead of taking pre-prepared blocklists... I don't know as I have never looked at parental controls.

Or lastly, is it really a computer problem or is it something that you could manage from a human behaviour/training angle.

@East_coast that Netgear article is only half the solution, the key bit is setting up different user groups. I would be well surprised if Netgear would allow for user groups.
    scumbag likes this.

You can outsource the whole thing to this local company:

Small & Medium Business | NETWORK BOX

They make their own hardware and provide round the clock monitoring.

scumbag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    @East_coast that Netgear article is only half the solution, the key bit is setting up different user groups. I would be well surprised if Netgear would allow for user groups.
    I suspect there are just 2 User group

The managers
    The workers

Just daisy chain some Home routers making sure the right level of minion get restricted access.

It will annoy the and force them to get unlimited data plans so they can gawp at the internet all day on their phones instead
    dentarthurdent and scumbag like this.

You're looking for a router with "parental control".

TP-Link has this functionality for most of their routers.

How to use Parental Control function on Wireless router? - TP-Link

Configuring it may not be that easy if you're configuring different access for different computers.

scumbag likes this.