Like Tree9Likes

China's Latest Whatsapp block - 26/09/17

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Which one do you use?
    Better take this to PM, lest the Wumaos find out.

But maybe they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Better take this to PM, lest the Wumaos find out
    Correct, that’s why I didn’t mention the company name (obviously our friends at the other side of the great firewall know already ... but still). Happy to send PM
    rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Correct, that’s why I didn’t mention the company name (obviously our friends at the other side of the great firewall know already ... but still). Happy to send PM
    FYI if you share it on this board there's a chance it might get blocked. They flat out block all connections from the Mainland, even those going through a VPN. So if you want to keep your VPN alive as long as possible then probably best to keep it to yourself. But I'm fine and I won't be needing one, thanks.

FYI if you share it on this board there's a chance it might get blocked.
    Not really, the larger suppliers like ExpressVPN have 1000s of IPs that they rotate constantly. They have also different server locations and different protocols you can chose from. In addition, nowadays VPN blocking is by technology. They look at certain data characteristics and then an automatic block triggers, no matter if you are the only user of that IP. So even you have your own Shadowsocks or whatever on port :80 there is a risk it gets blocked.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Not really, the larger suppliers like ExpressVPN have 1000s of IPs that they rotate constantly. They have also different server locations and different protocols you can chose from. In addition, nowadays VPN blocking is by technology. They look at certain data characteristics and then an automatic block triggers, no matter if you are the only user of that IP. So even you have your own Shadowsocks or whatever on port :80 there is a risk it gets blocked.
    Not disputing any of this but the "they" I was referring to in the part of my previous post that you've quoted is the administrators of this board. Mainland connections aren't allowed on Geo and thus any VPNs that could possible circumvent this could be banned as well.

Not disputing any of this but the "they" I was referring to in the part of my previous post that you've quoted is the administrators of this board. Mainland connections aren't allowed on Geo and thus any VPNs that could possible circumvent this could be banned as well.
    Really? I read this board from the mainland and have never had an issue accessing the site with no VPN. Staying on topic, whatsapp has been blocked for a few weeks now, but randomly every few days for a few minutes messages suddenly appear before it goes on lock down again.

For the record, we are not blocked on the Mainland. We selectively block problematic IP ranges where we either get excessively crawled (bots trying to download the entire site) or spam and scam ranges.