Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree10Likes

USB stick not working

I've been very happy with a combination of Time Machine (local backup) and BackBlaze (remote backup). I've had to to do a full restore from Time Machine when the main HDD crashed which was surprisingly easy. I've only tested the backup from BlackBlaze but my files downloaded just fine. They also offer to ship over an HDD to you if that is easier, at some extra cost.

Proplus likes this.

@jgl I do update regularly, and I thankfully got the most important docs off, so if this USB stick is a write-off I'll actually be ok... just unbelievable timing as I'm walking on eggshells finishing a kind of project. But that's how these things work, right?

Haven't signed up for any cloud services... happy to hear suggestions and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    @jgl I do update regularly, and I thankfully got the most important docs off, so if this USB stick is a write-off I'll actually be ok... just unbelievable timing as I'm walking on eggshells finishing a kind of project. But that's how these things work, right?

Haven't signed up for any cloud services... happy to hear suggestions and ideas.
    If you want to keep it super simple, just use literally any of the "folder on internet" options and you should be good. Dropbox is common, Google Drive, Microsoft, they all do stuff like this and make it easy.

The main thing here is that they* allow for version control on your documents so you can revert to older versions. And they are all set up to be easy to use. I think they're free for smallish data amounts. Could be wrong.

Downsides:

Privacy. If you just use a single password instead of 2FA, then if someone guesses your password, all your files are publicly available. So if you're doing highly confidential stuff, be aware of this.

Reliability. Some people might say that the service might become unavailable (there are occasional but rare outages on various cloud platforms). The counter to this is that it's still a damn sight more reliable than running around with everyhing on a single USB stick or laptop.

* Better confirm this with whichever service you use, I am making an assumption here. I don't use any of these services because I do something needlessly complicated instead.
    WMDS likes this.

Yeah, and this is why I have yet to take the time to look into this and instead just made some backups on the computer. Just my students work and updated teaching materials from the last couple of months are on this broken stick. It's grading time, but I got the grade sheets off... just would have been helpful to still have the most recent version of everything all together, neatly organized like it was.

It's hard to imagine how google or other services would work when I've got multiple folders organized in a particular way and often make minor updates or add lots of files into a new folder...

I'm very, very grateful I lucked out and got one last time to get those crucial docs off. I think this might be a sign life is sending me though to leave this kind of work behind and move on!

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS
    Good advice @jgl. I think I will plan a day to backup any essential data. Is the cloud the best solution these days? Before I just burn them onto DVD/USB key/portable HDD drive.
    Backups are something you should set up once and then let run indefinitely. So doing it to DVD is not good practice unless you can guarantee you do it X times a month/year/whatever you need.

If you don't want to think about it, then cloud is good because it protects you from something nuking your home computer- encrypting malware that locks everything on your home network, or your place being trashed.

If you want to be cheap and have spare hard drives sitting around, then rotating hard drives out of a USB caddy and leaving one hard drive somewhere else every month or so would also work.

Though if you're talking about using a DVD, then I guess this is a pretty small amount of data and something like "keep it all on Dropbox and just use versioning as backups" might be... workable and low effort.
    WMDS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    It's hard to imagine how google or other services would work when I've got multiple folders organized in a particular way and often make minor updates or add lots of files into a new folder...
    Using Dropbox as example as that's a common one:

You have a top-level folder called Dropbox. Under that you have as many folders in as big and as complicated of a folder tree as you want.

The entire structure gets copied onto the Dropbox service, and replicated to any other computers that you have with Dropbox installed.

It's incredibly simple both to set up and to use- literally create an account, download and run a file, copy your existing folders into the Dropbox folder, and that's it. Maybe 5 minutes.

Dropbox has a 2Gb limit. And if you are on ADSL it's hopeless. Get a NAS.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Dropbox has a 2Gb limit. And if you are on ADSL it's hopeless. Get a NAS.
    NAS tends to be a very different thing from "backup" and is not a good substitute for at least 3 reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Any recommendations for where to try to get the files recovered in Wan Chai? Not too expensive?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3