Like Tree11Likes

New to HK......PCCW - How can I get a better offer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to HK......PCCW - How can I get a better offer?

The time has come for me to move into a new apartment.
    I have PCCW fiber and i-cable available to me at the new place.
    The property i'm moving to is a PCCW VIP building/area... from what I've read on the forum, this means nothing except that PCCW have opportunity to charge more/ limited avenues to speak to other sales reps.

I've been offered

1. fiber to the home 500MB @ HK$398 for 24 months
    2. fiber to the home 1000MB @ HK$498 for 24 months

plus HK$2500 installation and one month free.

I've asked the rep to give me a better offer but to no avail. Can I get a better offer from the rep? Has anyone tried and been successful? If so what did you do?

I believe I can get icable where i am but I'd rather go with PCCW for the speed. Can I use icable availability as leverage for a better rate or waived installation fee when I next speak to the rep?

I'm asking on here so I have better picture of where I stand as this is all new to me

thanks in advance!

Use your office's wall socket more if possible

Try to use a SIM card at home instead. A lot cheaper and hassle free.

thanks for the reply, SIM at home is probably not an option as we'll be watching some 4K TV feeds and gaming etc

I spoke to a couple of managers ...'threatened' to go to consumer council..been a loyal customer for 2 years, paying bills on time excuse...be assertive .. Worked for me as I got 3 months off ...good luck!

bb555 likes this.

Holy shit that is CRAP, I moved from the jungles of Clear water bay where I was paying 298 for 30 mbps then moved to Chai wan where the agent offered 1000 mbps for additional $98 a month, google wifi router free for 2 years, we had to pay $680 moving fee but we got that back through supermarket vouchers so win win.

So try looking for the agents on the road near your area and discuss with them if they can offer a better deal and say that Icable is also available for your home, usually these agents by the road work on commission as well so they will try their best to get you a good deal.

tell me about it.... it is crap! so my options are to use the i-cable availability leverage, see if i can find a street rep and be more assertive I'd be happy if they could just waive the installation fee

Original Post Deleted
    i live in a village house in an estate, not the stand alone ones. So I rang pccw months before moving and they quoted me preposterous amounts for installation with fibre line. Actually, I kind of insisted pccw to extend fibre from another estate across the road . They then sent their technicians to assess the area and I managed to get fibre for the whole god damn estate. Of course, my reason in to them included potential business from other residents etc.

Then recently my plan was about to expire and this is when they quoted higher renewal price to which I acted accordingly.
    chuckster007 and bb555 like this.

if you are not running servers at home, iCable can actually fulfill your need of normal browsing. My experience is that I tend to need to reboot the router once every 3 months. As I have servers running at home, I can't live with having to go home to reboot the router when down hence I moved to PCCW. Otherwise, I think iCable can serve quite well for normal browsing.

As for PCCW, I subscribed when I passed by SSP one day. Told the agent give me the cheapest package, he said he knows what I'm talking about and ticked only the free items. I signed the form and left in 5 minutes. I suggest asking for 300m or 100m (if available). Any agent on the street (not in your area) can serve your apt. So don't get suckered by the guy downstairs from you apt.

bb555 likes this.

we had the same thing, except our installation was HKD 3000.

Went with icable ... does the job for now. Netflix runs absolutely fine, other devices are little less, but we can manage. HKD 199/mo no installation fee. Just depends how mad you get when it buffers.

ycchai likes this.

hmmmm decisions decisions......
    i'd say i'm a pretty heavy user of the internet. So for me icable might not be sufficient. I'm not willing to sign up for a two year contract and then regret it... Looks like i'll just have to find an PCCW agent on the street and pursue that angle of attack. if that doesn't work then a shop visit and lastly back to the agent.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast