Like Tree9Likes

Google Pay & HK’s Mobile Payment Landscape

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Can you only use any of these on a phone with NFC? Seems rather limited usefulness! Is NFC something that can be retrofitted to phones or is built in hardware? I don't think my Xaiomi has it, even though its a pretty new model.
    Xiaomi has always fallen behind on NFC support, I think probably because in China the mobile payment methods that are so popular are the ones like wechat and alipay that work by scanning QR codes with the camera. So NFC has never really taken off in China like other countries. Having said that, their more expensive phones that are over $3k now have NFC. But your cheap $1k Note 4X does not have it.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Can you only use any of these on a phone with NFC? Seems rather limited usefulness! Is NFC something that can be retrofitted to phones or is built in hardware? I don't think my Xaiomi has it, even though its a pretty new model.
    On AliPay, WeChat Pay, and the recent Octopus app (they have merged O ePay into it), you don't need NFC as they are QR Code based.
    HK_Katherine and Vrindavan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    On AliPay, WeChat Pay, and the recent Octopus app (they have merged O ePay into it), you don't need NFC as they are QR Code based.
    The octopus app is a lot more useful on a phone with NFC than without it, because it allows you to cheat the banks and exploit a loophole in the system to give yourself free Asia miles/credit card reward points/cashback/etc every day. Without NFC, you can only load the octopus app from a bank account or cash in 7-11 and you don't earn any points doing this. Also other apps that dont use NFC such as HSBC Payme can only load in ways that no longer earn points. But with NFC on the Octopus app, you can beep your octopus on the back of your phone to load the app which then this triggers an AAVS reload earning credit card points. So you can basically sit there sucking money out of your Octopus and dumping it back into your savings account. This gives you free Asia miles and the other side benefit is free cash advances as your savings acccount is boosted and you pay back your credit card 55 days later or whatever your interest free period is.

So I find the octopus app with NFC useful for exploiting this loophole. You dont have to actually use it for it's intended purpose (to pay other people). Just use it as a "Free Asia miles generation tool" and remember to trigger an AAVS on your octopus 8 times a month (if your AAVS is $500 each time) or 16 times a month (if your AAVS is $250 each time). If you reload more than this they start charging fees.
    Vrindavan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The octopus app is a lot more useful on a phone with NFC than without it, because it allows you to cheat the banks and exploit a loophole in the system to give yourself free Asia miles/credit card reward points/cashback/etc every day. Without NFC, you can only load the octopus app from a bank account or cash in 7-11 and you don't earn any points doing this. Also other apps that dont use NFC such as HSBC Payme can only load in ways that no longer earn points. But with NFC on the Octopus app, you can beep your octopus on the back of your phone to load the app which then this triggers an AAVS reload earning credit card points. So you can basically sit there sucking money out of your Octopus and dumping it back into your savings account. This gives you free Asia miles and the other side benefit is free cash advances as your savings acccount is boosted and you pay back your credit card 55 days later or whatever your interest free period is.

So I find the octopus app with NFC useful for exploiting this loophole. You dont have to actually use it for it's intended purpose (to pay other people). Just use it as a "Free Asia miles generation tool" and remember to trigger an AAVS on your octopus 8 times a month (if your AAVS is $500 each time) or 16 times a month (if your AAVS is $250 each time). If you reload more than this they start charging fees.

There are limits on AAVS daily reloads and this loophole is about to be plugged very shortly.

Something tells me JaredHK works for Octopus Pay

Octupus app NFC function doesn't work with all phones, only Samsung, Sony, LG it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by ilee81:
    Something tells me JaredHK works for Octopus Pay
    Nope but I know someone who has been hired by the banks to provide them with data on people exploiting these payment systems. Somehow he contacted me asking for data points and got none. He s already on the usual English and Chinese sites and a fan of Percy Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Octupus app NFC function doesn't work with all phones, only Samsung, Sony, LG it seems.
    What do you mean ? I can use the Octopus app to make online payment with my Oneplus NFC
    The octopus sim card seems to only work with well know brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    What do you mean ? I can use the Octopus app to make online payment with my Oneplus NFC
    The octopus sim card seems to only work with well know brand.
    Doesn't work with my oneplus for nfc.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Doesn't work with my oneplus for nfc.
    If your octoplus is a old generation it doesn't work with oneplus NFC, I got a new one and it work.