Like Tree25Likes

Dell/Lenovo vs Generic Built Computers

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

As tempting as it sounds... I think I will stick with a local vendor. Jaredhk has recommended one on another gaming computer thread and it's about time I give him some business.

Fiddling around with stuff is good fun for the holidays. Yes, I have nothing better to do..

emx likes this.

I priced the above listed Hackintosh from TaoBao using parts in HK from price.com.hk and it seems quite a bit cheaper doing it in HK.

I'll give it a try when I'm back in HK.

With the exchange rates and the risk of shipping through a China warehouse.. Not worth buying through TaoBao.

Besides.. Support the local vendors.

emx likes this.

I don't pay close attention to this stuff, but I was reading that RAM prices are predicted to fall again in 2019. Something about new production sites coming online.

I think that silicon production tends to follow a bit of a yo-yo with over production and under production cycles.

For hackintosh, you're right to simply take the TonyMac system guides to store and ask for exactly same thing. It'll give you least amount of headaches. For multiboot, save yourself the headache of how to partition, etc. and just get a separate hdd for each OS. hdd's are so cheap now.

MKK/298? Last time I bought from Jumbo and found out that they'll deliver everything to my place and you can pay COD. Just email or whatsapp them your list of stuff and save yourself a trip.

shri and emx like this.

Quick update... ended up getting a "cheap-ish" ASUS ROG-G501VW laptop with the following specs

i-6700HQ @ 2.6GHz
    16GB RAM
    512G SSD
    4K Display - 15.6" 16:9 IPS UHD (3840 x 2160)
    Cost about $6800 including headphones / mouse and a laptop bag - for an opened unit. The vendor who I have known for several years (10+) said the laptops were used at some gaming show and were not returns or refurbs.

Will look at a cheap hackintosh build in a few months time. (I do have it working on a virtualbox on the laptop, but this seems inefficient).

For now - this laptop meets my requirements and more...
    Last edited by shri; 26-02-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    emx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quick update... ended up getting a "cheap-ish" ASUS ROG-G501VW laptop with the following specs

Cost about $6800 including headphones / mouse and a laptop bag - for an opened unit. The vendor who I have known for several years (10+) said the laptops were used at some gaming show and were not returns or refurbs.
    Sounds like a reasonable deal. How much does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Will look at a cheap hackintosh build in a few months time. (I do have it working on a virtualbox on the laptop, but this seems inefficient).
    GPU cards and RAM prices are insane at the moment because the crypto miners are grabbing all the GPU cards they can find, so wait a while if you can until these components come down in price again.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4