Like Tree25Likes

Dell/Lenovo vs Generic Built Computers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dell/Lenovo vs Generic Built Computers

Need a new development desktop - my ideal choice would have been an iMac, but cannot find anything in the refurb / clearance store + the new ones seem a little bit pricy to get them up to the spec I would want for the next 2-3 years.

Figured a new Windows 10+Ubuntu desktop will do the trick.

Has anyone gone through the process of pricing / building a new desktop or buying something from Dell / Lenovo recently?

Looking at a newish-middle tier CPU - i7, 4-6 core, with 16GB (upgradable to 32GB) RAM, SSD + 1TB drive (should be able to add another one or two drives in the future if need be).

Should support min 2 (upgradable to 3 or 4) monitors. Don't need any fancy GPU / gaming features.

Out of the box this looks good, but have to check and see what this means

Z370 with Intel K CPUs only (some features of Z chipset not supported, including dual graphics)
    XPS 8930 Desktop with 8th Gen Intel Processor | Dell Hong Kong

Could not find anything from Lenovo on their website with 16GB out of the box.

Store built computers open up a larger range of possibilities...
    imparanoic likes this.

What's your budget and any size or noise considerations?
    I purchased a dell tower for a company in the past and wasn't impressed. Custom building PCs is significantly better value, and you get to control variables like the case.

shri - how about building a Hackintosh?

You could then boot macOS, Win10 and Ubuntu

https://www.tonymacx86.com

wayland likes this.

My Hackintosh right now:

i7 6800K CPU overclocked to 4.7GHz
    Z170 motherboard
    32Gb DDR4 3200 RAM
    GTX 1070
    2 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 512GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA HDD .... dual boots Sierra and Windows 10 (which I hardly use anymore)
    Broadcom wifi and BT card.....let's me use Handoff in macOS and AirDrop to all my other Apple Macs and iPhones

Got a 29" Ultrawide monitor and a 27" IPS HDR 4K monitor powered off it.

If you are doing any memory intensive work, modern day gaming RAM is a gem, stable and with super fast timings. These fast timings makes so much difference in the speed of the computer.

I have a spare Z270 ASUS motherboard which I am considering to upgrade to, reason being it has a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard itself, so I can add a ASUS PCIE Thunderbolt card and attached my Thunderbolt drives.

emx, shri and wayland like this.

I have been reading tonymacx86 recently and want to build a mackintosh to replace my antique Mac Mini for video editing on FCX.

SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    I have been reading tonymacx86 recently and want to build a mackintosh to replace my antique Mac Mini for video editing on FCX.
    It was easier using Yosemite, but gradually got a bit harder for the beginner with Sierra and High Sierra as Apple has removed the installation files from the AppStore.

Start off with the recommended motherboards they suggest (mainly Gigabyte ones) and just follow the step-by-step instructions. Once you get the hang of it, you can start getting smaller features like iMessage and FaceTime to work.
    emx likes this.

Come to the conclusion that what I need is a generic .. the builds from Dell etc, are a bit overpriced as I don't really need any fancy gaming GPUs, just basic video cards x 2.

Off to MKK / 298 this weekend...

imparanoic and Viktri like this.

I thought most motherboards already came with at least 2 video ports, no need for discreet graphics card if it's an Intel CPU (i.e. built in graphics capability).

Last I checked, CPU graphics could support 3 monitors but motherboard design usually limited this to 2.

@jgl - would be nice to add another card in the near future for 2 more monitors (built in graphics should be good for 2 .. and reduced the need for a fancy GPU which the higher spec branded comps have)

@Proplus - I assume the motherboard choice has the most impact (only impact?) on the Hackintoshability of a computer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast