ISP unconditional cancel cool off trail period

Closed Thread

ISP unconditional cancel cool off trail period

Which ISP has un conditional, no question asked, cancel policy, at zero or small cost, for a short trail period after installation

Need avoid pay 5000 hkd for 3 years if it does not do 25M for Netflex

I phoned one ISP sale hot line. Official legal terms is 20M shared by many users. Officially, they said if 100 users, each got 0.2M and they still legally need me pay 4000 hkd for 3 years

If you have a partucular isp choice, you can search classifieds for ppl selling their contracts. You can buy em and use it. This way, you dont have to sign a lengthy contract.

Isp will have monthly pay as u use plans, but will be ridiculously expensive compared to the contract ones.

Quote Originally Posted by simon3:
    Which ISP has un conditional, no question asked, cancel policy, at zero or small cost, for a short trail period after installation

Need avoid pay 5000 hkd for 3 years if it does not do 25M for Netflex

I phoned one ISP sale hot line. Official legal terms is 20M shared by many users. Officially, they said if 100 users, each got 0.2M and they still legally need me pay 4000 hkd for 3 years
    Uh, none of them. Do you realise that the speed you get to overseas destinations will vary with time of day as other users ramp up or down their own internet usage? The guaranteed way around this sharing problem is to contract your own international leased line, but again that's for a fixed period.

Out of curiosity, which country do you come from where this 'instant cancellation with no penalty' is an option?

Think of the internet connection to your building like a water pipe. Let’s say that pipe can supply 1000L/min (e.g. 1000M). That has to supply every property in the building.

If you are the only person using the water supply, you can get that 1000L/min (e.g. 1000M). If there are 200 people in the building all using it at the same time, then you will only get around 5L/min (eg 5M).

To some extent it doesn’t really matter which ISP you use - that is just the equivalent of choosing who supplies your water (I realise this is not possible in HK, of course).

In any event, is it really that vital that you have super duper ultra amazing mega HD Netflix? Are there actually enough films available in that definition standard to make this a necessity???

Most films I watch I am happy with normal HD!!

You may try HKBN and Netvigator - pay an installation fee (about $800 2 years ago) and then a relatively higher monthly fee (perhaps double of what they charge from those committed for 24 months). You can terminate the service anytime by serving a 1-month notice. Did that 2 years ago when I needed to move to another flat for 2 months.

If u really ask that question, some isp do have cancellation cool off policy, within a few days to 3 weeks, with payment for actual usage days plus "some" installation fee.

Actual tests to fast.com, by my retired (no knowing the updated situation) engineers classmates, ranges from 15 to 950M. The 950M one is from a tiny isp, may be just small number of users in that building

How buying remaining contract works? How much is the installation fee? Heard some isp has one time free of charge relocation service

Last edited by simon3; 09-02-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Relocation fee is usually hk$500. Opt for a one year contract. It's unlikely you have any choice in provider. They are all similar! Depends on your building and luck.