Like Tree28Likes

Facebook tracks... people who don't use Facebook

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hkha:
    Except that FB has the power to control what news you get to see from your FB page.
    Yes, they do - but they dont exercise that power in bad way....Similar to the way Google could screw with your search results but they dont (except for very good reasons)....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Again, the news are not on FB. The news are on the respective platform. FB is only an entry point. But anyway won't argue on that any longer.I totally see why FB would not allow some news outlets (too far on each side of the political spectrum) to be able to be connected via FB (entry point) - it is sensible to me. Guess not to everyone.and if you want these news... you know where the websites are.
    The first point is pedantic and goes against your earlier point. People do go to FB for their news, as you say it is an entry point.

No idea what the second point refers to.

Just wondering. Would anyone here pay for Facebook to not be a target for ads?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Just wondering. Would anyone here pay for Facebook to not be a target for ads?
    To be honest I don't get many, would not be worth paying to remove them.

Declutter your Facebook friends as well. Do we really need 100+ friends on there?

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkha:
    Except that FB has the power to control what news you get to see from your FB page.
    Only because you give them the power.

Not like they held a gun to your head and insisted that you open up facebook at 6AM and stare at it for the next 18 hours.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    ok ..but it's dead, i.e. privacy.
    HIs point is that it's dead because nobody cares and everyone is letting it die. Privacy does not have to be dead - there can be laws to enact more sensible privacy than we have now. Yes, it becomes harder in a digital age. Yes, perhaps we lose a little of the oh-so-convenient "get my news on FB" kind of crap (I agreed with the earlier post on "who does that?". ).

I care about privacy to the extent that I care about thing that I have no chosen to share. If I walk out of my door in the nude, or put a similar photo on FB, then it's not private. I chose to share. If I walk around inside my own home in the nude, then I expect that to stay between me, my husband and our walls. The same is true if I get an insurance quote online (or even by walking into a branch of an insurance company). It's supposed to be a private transaction. Ditto my bank account, share purchases and any other purchases for that matter. They are my information. If I "like" the company I am purchasing from on FB, that's public. But what I purchased from them should not be shared with third parties. I click every box available to not share my data, knowing I probably miss more than I click. It should not be this hard.
    Mefisto likes this.

And others can track your facebook data too...

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/18/lo...ript-trackers/

(All of this confirms - don't invest too much time on facebook logins / audience tracking)

The exploit lets these trackers gather a user’s data including name, email address, age range, gender, locale, and profile photo depending on what users originally provided to the website
    Oh, the horror. The humanity. Won't someone think of the children

When a user freely provides innocuous information to a website and that information happens to get shared to others; while strictly true, the use of the word "hijacked" is oh-ever-so-slightly misguided IMO

I treat this kind of "hijacking" as important as someone stealing my garbage.