Like Tree1Likes

fibre optic sharing

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fibre optic sharing

so, i just moved into my new apartment and there is an existing HKT/PCCW fibreoptic cable connection into my home.
    however it seems to be "bespoke" in that the paths from outside the apartment to inside is blocked and a new cable is not able to be laid.

smartone guys comes in, and says he cant lay a smartone / hkbn connection for that reason. he said he is not able to use the existing HKT cable as its a different company.

i dont know much about fibreoptics but is that true? sounds a bit inefficient if we need to have 2 need to lay 2 separate lines for 2 seperate companies? i would have thought there would be a centralised exchange outside the apartment where they can just "switch" over the cable.. but i could be wrong.

If there is a hkt fiber connection, how can the path be blocked? Did he try to run the fiber from outside to inside?

its hard to describe - basically the path from outside to inside has been blocked - ie there is only one HKT cable that comes in from a plastered over hole over the door.

then the cable runs through the false ceiling before dropping down near the TV point.

the technician claims that there are 2 issues, (i) it will be difficult for him to unbreak the hole that links the fibre to run from outside to inside and (ii) even if he manages to lay a cable through, he will need to break through the false ceiling to drop the wire down.

i believe that story IF he needs to lay a new cable. but does he?

i see a HKT fibreoptic cable and box. smartone guy says he cant touch it. it surely cant be that inefficient where 2 competing companies need to lay 2 separate fibre cables to come in (but maybe he is right and I dont understand the technicalities...)

The fibre coming into your place belongs to the company that installed it - another company won't use their cabling.

shri likes this.

ok thats a little bit disappointing for me.
    i like smartone (great customer service and fair prices) and am reticent to use hkt..

They normally can route their optical cable through the same duct that HKT uses to route theirs. May be they are not willing to try as it will be cumbersome?!!

Quote Originally Posted by ermen:
    its hard to describe - basically the path from outside to inside has been blocked - ie there is only one HKT cable that comes in from a plastered over hole over the door.

then the cable runs through the false ceiling before dropping down near the TV point.

the technician claims that there are 2 issues, (i) it will be difficult for him to unbreak the hole that links the fibre to run from outside to inside and (ii) even if he manages to lay a cable through, he will need to break through the false ceiling to drop the wire down.

i believe that story IF he needs to lay a new cable. but does he?

i see a HKT fibreoptic cable and box. smartone guy says he cant touch it. it surely cant be that inefficient where 2 competing companies need to lay 2 separate fibre cables to come in (but maybe he is right and I dont understand the technicalities...)
    Absolutely needs to lay a new cable, because HKT own the box and cable. Given your description, it seems like this is a "difficult job" that will take lots of time and isn't worth the guy's effort. Try calling and asking for a different installer.

FWIW - Nothing wrong with Netvigator.

I've had their 1000M service for a few years now and not a single issue.

nothing wrong with netvigator.
    but smartone is cheaper and good CS everytime I call them. besides, i have an existing contract with them.

and yes, to confirm, there is smartone/hkbn in my building.
    the duct where the existing hkt fibre comes through is blocked - basically plastered over such that the only thing that comes out of the wall is the HKT cable.

drilling anothr duct into my apartment makes sense. maybe got to get the technician to come again

Quote Originally Posted by ermen:

If there is an existing internet subscription available (apparently near the TV point), why don't you use that one?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast