Like Tree15Likes

New 2018 Mac Mini - Finally!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New 2018 Mac Mini - Finally!

An awesome upgrade path for some of us who are on Macs and want a desktop but don't want to pay the iMac premium.

Up to three displays:
    Two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt 3 plus one display with 4096-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI 2.0
    or
    Up to two displays:
    One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt 3 plus one display with 4096-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI 2.0
    Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for:

DisplayPort
    Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
    USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
    Thunderbolt 2, HDMI, DVI, and VGA supported using adapters (sold separately)
    https://www.apple.com/hk/en/mac-mini/specs/

User upgradable ram ++

I'd just get a M2 SSD in an enclosure and run it via T3 instead of upgrading the internal storage.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    User upgradable ram ++

I'd just get a M2 SSD in an enclosure and run it via T3 instead of upgrading the internal storage.
    Or an existing NAS for media.
    emx likes this.

Great news. Although my 2011, i5 Mac Mini (htpc) still chugs along quite happily 24/7. I'm amazed what a great machine it is. Never gets hotter than luke warm and I never switch it off save for the odd restart.

Is my memory failing me or is the base model considerably pricier than the former version?

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Is my memory failing me or is the base model considerably pricier than the former version?
    They got a lot more expensive according to the tech news reports. Not surprising.

I had a quick look, saw an i3 going for 6K or whatever it is, and thought "nope". I know you're paying for the form factor, the OS and the branding, but... screw that.
    imparanoic likes this.

I'd love to see something that ran multiple 4K displays with MacOS for cheaper and in a HTPC type format - with 1 year warranty.

I haven't bought into either 4K displays yet*, or MacOS That said, I'm not sure that multiple 4K displays would be common use case for a HTPC form factor machine.

I've had my eye on the USFF Dells for a while, but don't personally have a use case for them either. Really neat form factor, just not the shiny-look-at-me casing that Apple invariably goes for.

* I went TV shopping recently, it's quite annoying that practically all of the mid-level TVs are now 4K, even the ones that are too small to benefit from the resolution.

imparanoic likes this.

Go big or go home:

https://www.apple.com/hk/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

Or go big and go broke? JFC.

spode likes this.

4 x Thunderbolt 3 alone bumps the price up considerably.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast