Like Tree8Likes

Wifi egg - in town delivery/pick up

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wifi egg - in town delivery/pick up

Are there any wifi eggs that I can pick up in town or get delivered to me - i.e. not pick up at the airport?

I have a trip coming up and between early flight time, babies, and grandparents to wrangle, would be easier if I could get in advance and not have to pop downstairs to arrivals area.

why not just buy one to keep, and get one of the sim cards commonly available in street corner shops for your destination country ?

jdf21st likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    why not just buy one to keep, and get one of the sim cards commonly available in street corner shops for your destination country ?
    Does that work out cheaper? I've been renting one for the past few trips and would probably use it 4-5 times a year at least.

Are you with HKBN? Should be able to pick up their travel thingy at their shops OR at an SF Express location.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Are you with HKBN? Should be able to pick up their travel thingy at their shops OR at an SF Express location.
    No unfortunately I'm with PCCW.

Depends on where you're going. I picked up one for my Vietnam trip from MK, dropped at the Airport. I booked it using the ***** app.

Your best bets might be buying something through HKTV Mall for home delivery (Wifi Device + Roaming SIM).

Not aware of any device rentals at PCCW.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Does that work out cheaper? I've been renting one for the past few trips and would probably use it 4-5 times a year at least.
    really depends on where you are going and whether you can get a cheap sim chip for that country. and how much the wifi rental hub decides to rent the ball to you...

used to rent it but the hassle of having to return after landing at the airport (e.g. midnight landing flight) and having to find the return counter, before they charge you an extra day of usage, made me decided to buy one for myself and just plunk in the chip.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I use this Xiaomi one which is great and lasts all day and doubles as a power bank with a 10000mah battery

https://buy.mi.com/hk/item/3180500001
    shri likes this.

Xmas UK trip, bought pukka 4G/LTE TP-link WiFi dongle at Golden Computer Mall, Sham Shui Po.

Got 4G SIM from Vodafone shop in Bolton (don’t ask - but it’s right next to local 3 and EE shops!) Unlimited data cost £35 - we used over 40gb in <1 month.

most big airports have SIM card shops in terminals. T3 @ LHR has SIM card vending machine near luggage carousels.

For HK, 7-11 sells cheap 4G SIM card packages (eg HK$45 for basic China Mobile SIM).

Buy dongle from anywhere but phone company (!) Telstra dongle (Huawei) bought in Perth last year only allows use of Telstra SIM but charges A$3 per 1mb (FFS!) outside of Oz!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast