Like Tree25Likes

New router or mesh set-up?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

New router or mesh set-up?

I think I had previously posted about upgrading my Asus RT-N66U.

We've now moved and the router really isn't cutting it anymore, especially as we now have some dead spots.

As a result should I be looking at a "mesh" set-up or a more powerful router?

If its mesh, what's out there that is good these days? There is another post talking about the Google mesh set-up but it seems that is only officially available via Netvigator.

I did get a free One Gateway router with CMHK, but am pretty sure its not going to be any better than my existing router.

The RT-N66U was a popular piece of kit for a reason and there's still a "John's fork" of the ASUS firmware; an older but regularly maintained fork of the popular Merlin firmware release. You could try new high-gain or directional antennas or just checking if moving the router's location helps with the dead spots.

You could run the old N66U as an AP (N-class) even if you decide to get a new one. ASUS are still one of the most trustworthy router makers and the current crowd favourite is the RT-AC86U (AC-class with ARM CPU).

The latest Merlin firmware which unlocks some additional nice features can be found on the Asus-Wrt forum.

A cheaper option that we use is WiFi enabled home plugs in the rooms which are further away from the main WiFi router in the living room. Same SSID throughout the house.

Asus should have a firmware option that turns a normal router into a mesh node.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Asus should have a firmware option that turns a normal router into a mesh node.
    This is their AI cloud I think. Seems the RT-N66U isn't supported for this.

Also, as we now have accumulated a lot of different devices, most of which now support the newer AC standard, it's probably time to upgrade router in any case.

Re poweline may look into this, however as our building is quite old will need to query how good the wiring is for this.

I dont think it's necessary how good the wiring is. More like whether the sockets that you want to connect via phone are on the same circuit or different circuits.

Could easily be wrong but I think most HK flats have the wall sockets on the same circuit.

Original Post Deleted

Mesh is absolutely fine for most people. And a good mesh system uses a different frequency for the backhaul comms between APs.

Yes, nothing beats wire for reliability and speed, but Pin is renting.

I'd only start looking at mesh networks if running cables is impossible or for whatever reason unfeasible.

If cables aren't convenient and the performance can't be improved by positioning the router better or upgrading it with high-gain or directional antennas (if applicable) or if the router has stopped getting firmware/security updates, consider replacing the router with a current model that supports mesh networking if desired.

The ASUS RT-AC86U comes with proprietary Ai-Mesh software (works only with the stock ASUS firmware but not the forks) so if one doesn't do the job a pair of those might. I'd consider ASUS a dependable manufacturer who provide firmware updates for relatively long time for their models.

I believe Ai-Mesh is only supported on their AC or newer models so the old RT-N66U would only work as an AP off the cable, and even then I'd install John's fork on it to keep receiving most software updates possible.

If you are hell bent on going mesh then I've seen good performance with the Linksys Velop and TP Link sets both.
    Powerline adaptors in my situations failed after a year and I just decided to upgrade to Mesh.
    Absolute best however is running a cabled connection between the routers for sure.

Thanks all for suggestions. Cabled connection isn't an option as this is a rented apartment.

Seems its either mesh or upgrading router to RT-AC86U.

I'm linking some old posts for reference which may also be useful:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread350158.html

https://geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread348670.html (my old thread)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast