Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By emx
  • 1 Post By 1denisiel
  • 1 Post By jgl

Which floor village house to install broadband?

Closed Thread

Which floor village house to install broadband?

Hello, I live in a two story village house that has an additional glass house on the roof (so total of three floors), The TV is on the ground floor, office on the second floor and the roof is also used as an office. The ground floor will have an outdoor security camera and front door electronic keypad, indoor camera and TV; First floor will watch YouTube and Netflix; Roof/Third floor will use internet.

PCCW recommended buying TP Link TL - WDR8660 router and said I would be able to use broadband on all three floors if the router is installed on the first floor (the middle floor). Before, we had the router on the ground floor and we used PCCW then too.

Is installing on the first floor (middle floor) correct?

It sounds plausible. Wifi might be able to go through one layer of concrete and rebar, it won't go through 2.

> The ground floor will have an outdoor security camera

I'm not sure that the outdoor camera would be reachable with decent signal strength, it would be a 'try it and see' kind of situation.

> front door electronic keypad

Is this thing wifi? I think keypads are not usually connected to wifi unless you're running an AirBNB and letting people in remotely. If it's not connected to wifi, it's not relevant.

> Before, we had the router on the ground floor and we used PCCW then too.

Well, did the signal reach to the second floor then?

This is also worth reading: https://geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread351672.html

imparanoic likes this.

I have a 3 floor village house with the modem & main router in the middle floor and wifi bridges on the ground and top floor.

You may struggle for coverage with just the router in the middle floor.

Thank you for your replies. Haven't purchased the outdoor camera yet or the keypad lock (want to hook up to WiFi to see who is coming and going and also to be able to change access codes while traveling, if necessary).

Installation is in two days so will install the router in the middle floor as recommended. Thanks again!

If there is any reception problem, use a pair of homeplugs -

https://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/...IT.html#qrcode

Quote Originally Posted by 1denisiel:
    Thank you for your replies. Haven't purchased the outdoor camera yet or the keypad lock (want to hook up to WiFi to see who is coming and going and also to be able to change access codes while traveling, if necessary).

Installation is in two days so will install the router in the middle floor as recommended. Thanks again!
    what lock are you looking at for the front door?? I wanted to get a keypad lock for our village house (as I have had them for ages in apartments) and all the locksmiths/lock shops said no cannot cope with HK rain. Would not sell me one.

Would love to hear which model you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    what lock are you looking at for the front door?? I wanted to get a keypad lock for our village house (as I have had them for ages in apartments) and all the locksmiths/lock shops said no cannot cope with HK rain. Would not sell me one.

Would love to hear which model you have!
    Locksmith recommend a Samsung Lock but I haven't purchased it yet. I installed a glass door in front of the wooden door and this keeps the rain out.
    Kiz likes this.

Ah ok so its your double door situation that makes this workable. I have had 2 samsung locks and they were great. It's what I was hoping for rather than having to go back to a key. Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with the key still.