Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Best Fiber internet in HK

Netvigator / PCCW can charge the highest price not only because they have the best coverage but also highest overseas bandwidth - hence better / stable connection when downloading, streaming video and playing online games from overseas servers. When other ISPs started service around 20 years ago, they rented PCCW's undersea cable. I bet most of them, if not all are still renting.

Smartone mobile is one of the best value operator, but they don't allow tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal
    Netvigator / PCCW can charge the highest price not only because they have the best coverage but also highest overseas bandwidth - hence better / stable connection when downloading, streaming video and playing online games from overseas servers. When other ISPs started service around 20 years ago, they rented PCCW's undersea cable. I bet most of them, if not all are still renting.

Smartone mobile is one of the best value operator, but they don't allow tethering.
    I was on PCCW before switching to Smartone at the same location and just across the road from the exchange and PCCWs performance with streaming was far inferior to Smartone. Netflix for example would take time to buffer up from SD to HD and at peak times on the weekend would drop back down to SD or even completely stop and buffer. Smartone immediately starts in HD and never buffers and has no peak time slow downs.

I also have tethering with Smartone, yiu just have to ask them to enable it.

You get higher speed at lower cost, great deal then.

Regarding Smartone mobile, this is the 1st time I heard that they would enable it free of charge. Also great for you!

Quote Originally Posted by methosb
    I was on PCCW before switching to Smartone at the same location and just across the road from the exchange and PCCWs performance with streaming was far inferior to Smartone. Netflix for example would take time to buffer up from SD to HD and at peak times on the weekend would drop back down to SD or even completely stop and buffer. Smartone immediately starts in HD and never buffers and has no peak time slow downs.

I also have tethering with Smartone, yiu just have to ask them to enable it.

It's not this simple.

Submarine cables out of HK are typically owned by a consortium of other telecoms, and ISPs or other companies rent out chunks of bandwidth on these cables.

For example, APCN-2 which connects a fair chunk of Asia includes both PCCW and HKBN as owners. And any one ISP is going to be running over far more than a single cable because they need to connect out of region, and because any cable can go down at any time.

You get higher speed at lower cost, great deal then.

Regarding Smartone mobile, this is the 1st time I heard that they would enable it free of charge. Also great for you!
    Maybe because my plan is a higher-end one? There is no extra charge on my bill for tethering but it was enabled from a long time ago and I used it a month or so ago.

how does the telco companies check if you are tethering ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2