Like Tree55Likes

Raspberry Pi

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

When you say two instances do you mean two separate raspberries?

robertlempriere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    I have no idea but when I hear the word instances, it makes me think of a virtual machine. Several can be launched on the storage drive and you can select which one you want to book.

Yep, I mean two separate devices

You can run one pihole on a rpi and another on a VM for instance, or both on rpi's.. or both on VM's etc etc

Surely just keeping a spare copy of the Pihole SD card is a saner approach to something as non-critical as DNS blacklisting at home, than running multiple devices or VMs for redundancy

my guess is that if it goes wrong, then clients may not be able to resolve anything hostnames and then the internet stops working and if tech support is not at home, then the spouse will lose their mind

will probably start with merlin discourse since I have the hardware already

--

Is the internet faster with the blocking? in terms of real world feel

my guess is that if it goes wrong, then clients may not be able to resolve anything hostnames and then the internet stops working and if tech support is not at home, then the spouse will lose their mind

will probably start with merlin discourse since I have the hardware already

--

Is the internet faster with the blocking? in terms of real world feel
    IMHO...yes. Pages are lighter, since spaces that should load ads just get immediately bounced to 0.0.0.0. Also, the pihole does DNS caching, so you don't even have to send your query out. Privacy wise, you're letting a lot less out. And if you choose a privacy-ware DNS with SSL (they list them on the setup. just...choose not google), you are getting a lot better privacy. In my current setup I don't get ads often, but when I do it's most of the time random stuff unrelated to anything.

In my opinion, if someone gave you a raspberry, the easiest win you can do for a pico-project (it's that easy) is to set a pihole. Immedate gains to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    For the phone it's a bit trickier, due to some android policies. From what I see, it syncs only from phone to server, and AFAIK, only adding. So, if you remove files either from the phone or the server, it won't remove those. This only happens with the phone client, which is a bit more limited. The computer clients behave as expected.

If you want to absolutely sync a phone folder(s) with your computer, you can set up syncthing. (of which you can also set a server in the raspberry). Its only purpose is to sync folders and files, and it does so very well. Seafile really aims to replace a full dropbox, and holds a more decent backup of changes, and can restore files to any previous version saved. It also includes a small browser office, so you can edit files on the go.

EDIT: I see you complained about syncthing. Try the fork...it's more up to date than the official, I believe.
    I actually had a 24/7 windows machine that I use for plex and general home serving/htpc duties. Tried Resilio with it yesterday and that was pretty good. Took just a bit of time to setup and had all my camera snaps and vids backed up from the phone in half an hour. Still need to sort out if it's a one way backup or will the sync settings mean deleting from the phone delete them from the PC backup as well.
    timonoj likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6