Like Tree38Likes

2019 - Router + Mesh Setup

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Unfortunately not currently available on Deco

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Also I think it lacks 2FA.

Deco is also shit. actually the mac leaking was a deco....

This thread is a god-send since I was looking into routers after my Apple Extreme (wtf) was starting to show age.
    My PC and Media stations (Playstation etc) are wired so I basically need Wifi for phone, tablets and laptops only. Was looking at reasonable Wifi 5~6 mesh routers but can't decide with all the tech terms I've missed out on.

After some digging I guess my main question is whether a Dual or Tri-band makes a big difference in average HK flat?
    And if Wifi 6 is really necessary unless it is future proof (whatever that may mean)..
    What would your choice of a mid-range router be in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by uopjo6:
    My PC and Media stations (Playstation etc) are wired so I basically need Wifi for phone, tablets and laptops only.
    The highest bandwidth requirement is probably streaming and gaming. So if you will never use phone tablets laptops for streaming and gaming, I think you pretty much can survive with the low end spec.

Don't really need to worry about future proofing because we have been sold that "we all need huge bandwidth to run our applications faster" Truth is gigabit ethernet has been around for more than 20 years and we have yet to see common household that has requirement exceed 1/10 of this speed. If you are in doubt, just google "netflix streaming requirements" and see how much it actually needs

Just get a stable mesh and easy to setup. I build my own out of junk routers so can't give you much advice on which is the best model
    shri and uopjo6 like this.

Thanks ycchai that was really straight forward and helpful.

Suggest you get an Asus router. You can add compatible Asus routers down the road to create a mesh if there is a need. For the size of a typical HK apartment though 1 decent router is good enough. I personally have a RT-AC86U thats worked well over the past few years.

Hi illini_expat, the more I look into these routers (especially Asus and their AiMesh) the more I'm considering the likes of AC86U and above. Just still debating if I should get a mid-tier Wifi 6 router (like the RT-AX3000) or a highly rated Wifi 5 router (AC86U). I'll just get another AC86U if I have to mesh it.

For your use case I suggest you go with the AC86U. My use case is similar with mostly wired devices and I find the routing performance and the router features to be more important to me than WiFI speeds. I get about 200-300Mbps in my apartment via 5Ghz WiFi and signal has to go through 2 concrete walls.

Over the past six months or so, I've somehow been collecting and testing mesh nodes just as a thing to do (because I'm a saddo geek). I now have enough to literally have one in each room (excluding bathrooms).

Thing is though, that I can pretty much cover my entire flat with just two units- the key is to position them carefully. I've settled for a sub optimal positioning for reasons of wiring convenience, and have a single dead spot of about one square meter in the kitchen (through two reinforced walls), everywhere else gets good coverage. This dead spot isn't a problem, as I think that browsing a phone directly in front of a gas stove isn't the smartest thing to be doing anyway.

Our apartment config is sort of like this....

Code:
    ----- * -----
          |
       ---------- o
          | 
    *'s are the nodes.
    o is a AV home plug thingy

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8