Like Tree30Likes

2019 - Router + Mesh Setup

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2019 - Router + Mesh Setup

So, I did see another thread about router + mesh and am not sure how much of it is current and applicable to HK.

My current router (old Netgear) has died and figure its time to replace it and perhaps get rid of a bunch of TP Link home plugs that are plugged in around the house.

- Any opinions about the Linksys VELOP, ORBI, Google or other current consumer grade mesh hardware?
    - Anyone using these devices with VPN or SmartDNS?
    - Do these mesh devices work as Ethenet hubs - if I have a desktop, can I connect it to one of these?

Seems like a decent high end router + wifi device will set me back HK$ 1000, a mesh setup (2 devices) will set me back about $2000 - or am I missing something?

I recently bought a TP-Link Deco M9 plus set (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-netw.../deco-m9-plus/). it's not a router, but it's a very solid wifi mesh setup. Each node has 2 ethernet ports, the 'main' node (my terminology there) that connects to your router uses one of these ethernet ports, but its secondary as well as both primary/secondary on all other wifi nodes function as a LAN port. E.g. my main wifi node is connected to my router via ethernet (secondary ethernet unused). I have a second wifi node upstairs, with my NAS plugged into the ethernet port of it. Receives DHCP from my router no problems. I don't see why you couldn't plug in a layer 2 switch into these if you needed to.

Phone app for setup is genuinely a 1 minute job, and has throttling and performance stats. I was a little surprised it was this smooth, normally I hate apps for doing things I'm used to using a web interface or CLI for.

I do have outbound VPN, but I don't have any home VPN server setup... but since that's a router function the wifi mesh wouldn't be an issue for it.

Performance with PCCW 500mbps is 130mbps both down/upstream on my old-ish laptop, so I'd say I'm very happy with it.

My 2-node wifi mesh was about $1600. Additional nodes are maybe $950 each last time I checked...

Hope that helps, if at least for comparison

Oh, not that number of wifi clients is a big issue these days (or at least, if it is, throw your kit out the window) but I have no problem with 15+ wifi clients in my house (mix of laptops, phones, security cameras) all busily uploading to cloud for various things. The wifi nodes get warm-ish... that luke-warm cup of tea warm when you rush to drink it before it gets cold. If that makes sense

shri and imparanoic like this.

Why the home plugs

dead spots? Poor wireless performance? Multi level living? Devices that are nominally wired only?

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Why the home plugs

dead spots? Poor wireless performance? Multi level living? Devices that are nominally wired only?
    A little bit of everything - this setup is about 6-7 years ago, when I guess the WiFi devices were not as capable.

- Dead Spots in some corners where a desktop is

I think this could be solvable with one of the newer mesh-y type two device Linksys or Netgear setups.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gch555
    Receives DHCP from my router no problems. I don't see why you couldn't plug in a layer 2 switch into these if you needed to.

Phone app for setup is genuinely a 1 minute job, and has throttling and performance stats. I was a little surprised it was this smooth, normally I hate apps for doing things I'm used to using a web interface or CLI for.
    I am trying to reduce the number of devices plugged in which is why ideally would want a setup that replaces 1 router + 3 homeplugs, which are in every room. We need wired connectivity in 1 room.

The price point of these devices looks good. Will go have a chat with the sales guys / read some reviews.

By the way - the specs for that device do say that it supports router mode "Router/ Access Point Mode". Will have to read the manuals to figure this out.
    Last edited by shri; 23-09-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Is it correct to say that you or someone in the family has a mac laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Is it correct to say that you or someone in the family has a mac laptop?
    Yes we have a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Yes we have a couple of them.
    DO please compare your normal wireless strength with the wireless signal where you have dead spots

WHAT - with the mac laptop can you please take it to the places where you have dead spots and compare the wireless by holding down the shift and option key and clicking on the wireless pie icon to see the noise and transmission stats along with the number of bars on the wireless pie icon.

WHY - so we confirm the wireless signal pickup with semi - new equipment.
    shri likes this.

compare the wireless by holding down the shift and option key and clicking on the wireless pie icon to see the noise and transmission stats along with the number of bars on the wireless pie icon.
    Neat! Was not aware of this. Hopefully will have the presence of mind and remember to do this tonight or whenever I end up replacing the router.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Neat! Was not aware of this. Hopefully will have the presence of mind and remember to do this tonight or whenever I end up replacing the router.
    no need to install software so easier for a one time check.

With the results can then better recommend powerful single router or a mesh.

For most people now I would recommend a mesh not withstanding $$

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast