Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By timonoj
  • 1 Post By kamoteboy911

I-Cable Broadband Service

Closed Thread

Red face I-Cable Broadband Service

Hi All,

My home broadband contract with HGC Broadband is almost finish and I'm in the market for a new less expensive provider.

We've spoken to the sales rep from I-Cable offering higher speeds (200mbps) for under $100/month.

I'm wondering if anyone here are using I-Cable and have any thoughts or feedback about their performance and service?

Thanks for the feedback Deleted User

With iCable, I find that when your contract comes up for renewal, the free offers/discounts that you got at the beginning are no longer available once the contract is over. Any suggestions for how you can still get the "intro" rate?

I've been using i-Cable 1000M with fixed/landline number for 322hkd a month for 2 years. fixed line cannot be removed from bundle.
    During the first couple of months, the speed is always more than 500Mbps download and around 600Mbps upload.
    But after around 6 months until now, it is only averaging 70Mbps for download and 280Mbps for upload.
    So you can relatively compare 200M to what I get for 1000M specially when everyone in your area is subscribed to i-Cable

Last edited by kamoteboy911; 03-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    vin02yeung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kamoteboy911:
    I've been using i-Cable 1000M with fixed/landline number for 322hkd a month for 2 years. fixed line cannot be removed from bundle.
    During the first couple of months, the speed is always more than 500Mbps download and around 600Mbps upload.
    But after around 6 months until now, it is only averaging 70Mbps for download and 280Mbps for upload.
    So you can relatively compare 200M to what I get for 1000M specially when everyone in your area is subscribed to i-Cable
    I reckon they hooked a bit too many users in your building. Unless its fiber, Icable will use the building antenna wiring for data, and when it gets crowded, bandwidth goes to the crapper. Specially on busy hours (after work, weekends etc). That was my experience a few years back. I don't want to ever go back to them.

have you guys had any experience/issues with cancelling at the end of the contract?

I'm moving into a new building and the only options are 8 megabit pccw or 200megabit i-cable.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about i-cable but have they improved? The pricing also seems very strange...
    88/month on a 3 year contract, or 156/month on a 2 year contract if I sign by the end of October

Otherwise normal price is 198 for 3 years, but it's 128 a month if I have phone and tv as well. This doesn't make sense to me at all

Is the 88/month an ongoing thing that I can expect to have in November?

And if after 1-2 years I want to terminate, can I just do a lump sum payment to cancel the contract?

iCable is okay

I used to live in a building with 8mbps PCCW and 200mbps iCable. It's a no-brainer - iCable was so much faster and consistent. Service was fine. Go for it. Now I'm in a building with FTTH and switching off iCable as I have the 1000mbps option.

I'm living in a building with 6mbps netvigator service and iCable is the only other provider. Is it a no-brainer that I should switch for higher speed at lower costs - or are there some pitfalls to consider?

Would they offer 12 month rather than 24 month contracts? Any consumer protections to back out of a service within a certain period?

Just do it

Can't sign up for less than 24 months, but can negotiate some free months or free landline phone and/or additional TV service.