Like Tree9Likes

PROFESSIONAL CAMERA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've shot with pro Canon and Nikon cameras using their top line lenses and they're all great (and expensive), but the Ricoh GR-ii is the one that gets the most use. Note that there is a newer version of it, which is US$400 more, but it's not as good according to most reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Ricoh-GR-II-D...4174132&sr=8-3

Last edited by SirNotAppearing; 19-11-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: try to fix link

Even poster size is possible with iPhone - not tried with my own snaps, but have seen some prints that looked good large - and supposedly were based on iPhone photos.

https://www.artmill.com/panoramic-prints/

For me - the main thing I miss from smartphone is telephoto - e.g. for birds etc.
    For iPhone the 'tele' lens is only 50mm. So if you want to photograph birds - or HK Raptors - a used camera with a 200mm-300mm tele lens does do something the phone can't

Good kid photography is probably about 80% skill, 20% gear. Top end gear vs decent gear just makes it a tiny bit easier or gives you better low light flexibility or rarely used features like massive telephoto lenses.

Depending on your portability requirements, a secondhand mid-range DSLR, Sony a6000 series, Fuji T series, RX100, or a good smartphone.

Then the rest is skill- read tutorials, practice, figure out where your shots went wrong, and practice again and again and again. You 100% cannot throw money at equipment and magically take good photos

I know good professional and extremely dedicated and talented amateur photographers who happily, gradually, downsized from full frame DSLRs to their smartphones. They still take great photos.

I also know many, many new parents where the father spends money on fancy new camera gear, takes mediocre photos, then gives up on the camera and also switches to his smartphone. They still take mediocre photos.

Edit: do not buy secondhand to save money. From the questions you asked in your opening post, you clearly don't know enough about cameras to navigate the secondhand market. And also avoid any camera store in TST or any camera store that's on street level with bright neon signage. They are tourist traps.

Last edited by jgl; 19-11-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Sony A7 mark 2 with 28-70mm lens is a good value pro spec camera. Full frame 24mp sensor at around HKD8000.
    Two Hong Kong based online stores worth checking out for camera equipment, e-infin and globalcentraluk.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    Even poster size is possible with iPhone - not tried with my own snaps, but have seen some prints that looked good large - and supposedly were based on iPhone photos.
    Far as I can tell, phones are still only good for poster or larger sizes from a distance. Last time I checked was 2 years ago when Huawei released whatever cutting edge Leica-based smartphone it was promoting at the time and had an exhibition set up. Looked good from a distance, but if you were within 3-4 feet, you could easily make out the lack of sharpness. Okay for landscapes, but much more noticeable on portraiture and cityscapes. Great for screens, but not so great for print.

I'm sure the tech has evolved a bit- you can keep bumping megapixel numbers and you can keep tweaking software, but there's a limit to how much you can eke out of a sensor and a lens half the size of your pinky fingernail.
    Last edited by jgl; 20-11-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Far as I can tell, phones are still only good for poster or larger sizes from a distance. Last time I checked was 2 years ago when Huawei released whatever cutting edge Leica-based smartphone it was promoting at the time and had an exhibition set up. Looked good from a distance, but if you were within 3-4 feet, you could easily make out the lack of sharpness. Okay for landscapes, but much more noticeable on portraiture and cityscapes. Great for screens, but not so great for print.

I'm sure the tech has evolved a bit- you can keep bumping megapixel numbers and you can keep tweaking software, but there's a limit to how much you can eke out of a sensor and a lens half the size of your pinky fingernail.
    Probably - poster size is big. I have been impressed with the iPhone camera improvements over the past 2 years - evolved more than a bit. The poster size prints ArtMill offers are based on panorama photos - so more pixels than in a normal photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPZ...ature=emb_logo

I saw a demo 1 year ago from a printer similar to ArtMill - have not tried so will not push the point further.
    jgl likes this.

The one advantage of a dSLR over a phone for baby/child photo's is you can strap on a fast lens and take excellent indoor shots, which phone camera's tend to struggle with due to low light and their much smaller lenses. We purchased an entry level Canon dSLR and a f1.8 fixed 50mm (I think) lens, and it takes excellent indoor photos. We have many many great pictures of our first children's early years but now it's basically sitting in a drawer gathering dust....... the best camera is one you have on you at all times and 99% of our pictures are on smartphones these days.

Camera really only comes out for sports days and suchlike where optical zoom and ability to use faster shutter speeds (1/100th etc) is useful....

shri, muzzdang and traineeinvestor like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2