Like Tree15Likes

Laptop Shops for MS Surface / Yoga etc...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    I have a Yoga Pro 3 and a Surface Go. They are both good hardware builds. I hardly ever use either as a tablet and if i do, its usually the Go. The hinge system on the yoga is very good. I sometimes have connection problems with the Go (machine with keyboard).

My main problem with the yoga was some of the software used had issues with the non-standard sized display. I suspect some games might have issues. If he’s running major, non-exotic programs, he’d probably be ok. For a gamer, i think a higher end surface would be safer buy.
    Use as a drawing tablet is important as well as games for us. Daughter currently uses a Wacom Intuos Pro, and I know the Surface would be ok for drawing - thoughts on the Yoga for this?

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66
    Use as a drawing tablet is important as well as games for us. Daughter currently uses a Wacom Intuos Pro, and I know the Surface would be ok for drawing - thoughts on the Yoga for this?
    Sorry, I can't be much help. Never really did much on the yoga/paint3D with a stylus. Done a little on the GO with the Pencil and a program called Plumbago. I find the windows sketch apps pretty sad and very limited. A child would probably be happy with Plumbago. If your daughter is using the Wacom, I think either brand would interface well with something like Sketchbook.

I do all my sketching and conceptual stuff on an ipad 11" Pro with Apple pencil and a ton of great apps... a much better design experience. I think the surface line would be a safer pick.

BTW the Lenovo support was basically non-existent, and microsoft far more responsive and reachable.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Sorry, I can't be much help. Never really did much on the yoga/paint3D with a stylus. Done a little on the GO with the Pencil and a program called Plumbago. I find the windows sketch apps pretty sad and very limited. A child would probably be happy with Plumbago. If your daughter is using the Wacom, I think either brand would interface well with something like Sketchbook.

I do all my sketching and conceptual stuff on an ipad 11" Pro with Apple pencil and a ton of great apps... a much better design experience. I think the surface line would be a safer pick.

BTW the Lenovo support was basically non-existent, and microsoft far more responsive and reachable.
    Thanks, she uses Photoshop these days, prefers it to Sketchbook. I agree the ipad pro + pencil is great for drawing - I have one and got her the wacom because I was tired of never having my ipad. I could just get her an apple laptop to use with the wacom but it's the less portable solution.

Photoshop eh? She'd probably luv a nice Surface Studio2, or Book2

kimwy66 and TigerSun like this.

I have a Lenovo Flex ? (14") 2-in-1

Yes, Fortress etc. should have some 2-in-1, SSP too, but note that pretty much all laptop stores in SSP, if not in all over HK, are owned by the same company. Don't expect too much variation.

Go there and check your model - and then buy on Amazon - you save at least $1000

I bought the 2-in-1 because I read a lot PDF stuff. The Flex has (I think) 16:9 screen - that makes A4 PDF on the 14" screen only slightly larger than on a 10" pad (they have usually a 3:2 screen).

Generally everything is fine, but my next upgrade will have a 3:2 screen for sure (Surface have that, they are really good, but not cheap).

And remember to compare with Amazon. Shipping is often free or below HK$100

shri likes this.

If you don't want to buy from Amazon then order online from MSFT HK. Don't give Fortress and BWY your money IMO. Lenovo TP build quality and QC has consistently gone down hll from the IBM days IMO.

I purchased a Surface Pro from Fortress.

They also had the Lenovo laptop which folds all the way out to a tablet, unlike Microsoft's SP and SB detachable forms.

I prefer the form of Microsoft's products and think the SP with the luxury hairy keyboard is an excellent looking product. I have two SPs at home and use a fully spec'd one and a lighter version. Greatest product of all time.

shri, TigerSun and jgl like this.

We've ended up with the Yoga C940 as the top choice.

Going to shop around and see if it is available cheaper elsewhere. Not going to do the usual buy from Amazon and use a shipping company as they seem to be overloaded and with fewer flights, packages are taking way too long to arrive.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 12.21.35 PM.png
Views: 352
Size:  53.4 KB

According to the following table in the report link, windows notebook has a 16-25% breakage rate by the end of 2nd year of ownerships. I would advise buying a better-built business model, e.g. Thinkpad, Latitude and Elitebook, etc. These lines are built with higher quality (some meeting military standard) and usually come with 3-year warranty. Buying a consumer model is like gambling with the $ paid.
    https://www.geckoandfly.com/6311/the...ty-comparison/

shri likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast