Like Tree15Likes

Laptop Shops for MS Surface / Yoga etc...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Laptop Shops for MS Surface / Yoga etc...

The kid is keen to try out a 2-in-1 to replace his existing laptop.

He wants a windows 2-in-1 and we'd like to try them out and see if they're workable.

Any good shops where we can see a bunch of different ones?

Fortress/298 come to mind but want to confirm that they have these 2-in-1 type devices on display.

Bumping this...

I'd be interested to know as well. Looking at the Surface Book 2 to replace daughter's now 5 yr old touchscreen HP. Good prices on Amazon, but haven't seen it in shops here. Would like to know how the screen connection to the keyboard section feels for ease of disconnecting etc

Yes they are on display at fortress... Bigger stores have the whole surface range.

Fwiw I ran a surface pro for the last 7 years as my main computer and generally found it great, although I almost never used it without the keyboard attached as the windows on screen keyboard is still badly executed in my opinion. I was all set to replace it with another surface product but found the book 2 too heavy to use convincingly in tablet mode especially as it has no stand, meanwhile the pro 7 still has very big bezels and didn't feel like a real upgrade. As a result (and for better range of future proof connectivity including thunderbolt) I went with the Dell XPS13 2 in 1 (very similar product to the Yoga 940). Again heavy in folded over tablet mode but still a good compromise for me and small enough to use in small spaces like airline seats and tray tables.

kimwy66 and shri like this.

Shri - don't exclude Chromebooks.. Super cheap and perfect if you spend your life in Chrome/Android Apps.

I picked up a second hand (but really 99% new) Asus the other day for $1300 - it's my first Chromebook and I'm impressed ...

jgl

@robertlempriere are Chromebooks entirely dependent on internet access to work, or are they useful offline as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    @robertlempriere are Chromebooks entirely dependent on internet access to work, or are they useful offline as well?
    Hmm, good question. They are certainly intended to be always online, with easy tethering for example.
    As far as offline goes, that's going to come down to the individual apps, just imagine turning on airplane mode on your phone, as long as you have cached whatever you want to work you should be fine...

I know plenty of people like to use Chromebooks for software development, that would work fine offline (but really, how long can one survive without google searches?)

As far as booting up, logging on offline is fine.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere:
    Shri - don't exclude Chromebooks.. Super cheap and perfect if you spend your life in Chrome/Android Apps.

I picked up a second hand (but really 99% new) Asus the other day for $1300 - it's my first Chromebook and I'm impressed ...
    I suspect needing excel and games would exclude chromebooks.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I suspect needing excel and games would exclude chromebooks.
    Games yes. Excel has an app and there is also O365 ...

I have a Yoga Pro 3 and a Surface Go. They are both good hardware builds. I hardly ever use either as a tablet and if i do, its usually the Go. The hinge system on the yoga is very good. I sometimes have connection problems with the Go (machine with keyboard).

My main problem with the yoga was some of the software used had issues with the non-standard sized display. I suspect some games might have issues. If he’s running major, non-exotic programs, he’d probably be ok. For a gamer, i think a higher end surface would be safer buy.

kimwy66, shri and jgl like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast