Like Tree12Likes

Help: Crappy Wifi Speed & Range

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What is this, the University of Google?

Buy a mesh router system because it comes with a free antivirus license... seriously? Trend is one of the most regularly annoying pieces of AV I've had to deal with over the past decade, probably only surpassed by McAfee.
    Most routers offer some form of virus protection. This could be 3 months, 1 year, 3 years or even unlimited. You are protected at router level, hence there is no obtrusive software you run on your PC or Laptop.

I merely pointed out that a TP Link Deco mesh system offers 3 year protection. Whereas Asus offered lifetime aiProtection on selected routers:-

https://www.asus.com/AiProtection/

What’s not to like about free router level antivirus?

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Most routers offer some form of virus protection. This could be 3 months, 1 year, 3 years or even unlimited. You are protected at router level, hence there is no obtrusive software you run on your PC or Laptop.

I merely pointed out that a TP Link Deco mesh system offers 3 year protection. Whereas Asus offered lifetime aiProtection on selected routers:-

https://www.asus.com/AiProtection/

What’s not to like about free router level antivirus?
    My main point was that adding a bunch of random Google-derived links contributes nothing to this thread. Did you even read those links before posting them up? One of them talks about using 1.1.1.1, jumbo frames(!), manually setting speed/duplex settings. Another link talks about making sure you have good cabling to the home and symmetric links. Clearly this is some American article with no relevance to internet provision in HK, let alone to wifi within a small apartment.

OP's problem is simply that he's running wifi in a city that's terrible for wifi. Terrible for wifi because of the crowding, and because of the way buildings are put together. There are ways to mitigate this, using Cloudflare DNS servers or jumbo frames are not among them.

Antivirus on routers. There's a reasoned case to be made for not running AV on a computer at all if you know what you're doing, but "oh it runs automagically on my router" is not part of it. How is your router with its 128MB ram buffer going to scan the 1GB compressed download you randomly ripped of Bittorrent, or how is "deep packet inspection" going to scan the encrypted link that can only be decrypted on your PC- keep in mind that everything is encrypted these days, so for the most part your router is blind to the contents of what it's passing through- all it can see is source/destination.

Your router acting as a firewall is a critical bit of hardware for a whole slew of security reasons, but replacing AV on your computer is certainly not one of them.
    Last edited by jgl; 04-06-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Rob2020 and chichow like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3