Like Tree14Likes

Help needed choosing PCCW speed (100m, 500m, 1000m?)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Depressing reading this. This is what I get for $326 pm. Some reasons - Not many options on Ma Wan, couldn’t get fibre due to flat renovations, needed a 12 month contract. To be honest, I’m happy with the download speed. It serves its purpose. Upload is a pain sometimes but it’s the price that upsets me!

Depressing reading this. This is what I get for $326 pm. Some reasons - Not many options on Ma Wan, couldn’t get fibre due to flat renovations, needed a 12 month contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Depressing reading this. This is what I get for $326 pm. Some reasons - Not many options on Ma Wan, couldn’t get fibre due to flat renovations, needed a 12 month contract.
    19ms ping across the water channel in Kwai Chung is atrocious. So is the upload. I'd move.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    19ms ping across the water channel in Kwai Chung is atrocious. So is the upload. I'd move.
    I am. Back to the UK. I can get 63MB for equivalent of $220 and no set up costs.

Having internet envy here. I'm running off 1 4G SIM and one 3G.....

This is why I moved to using a 5G router after years of 6Mb speeds from PCCW/HKT, the convenience alone offsets the much large fees per month.

I live in TST, in an old walk up building. I’ve searched HKBN’s website and there’s an optical line to the building to the left and to the building to the right, AND to the building opposite the road. So when I politely sent them an email to ask them if there was any possibility that when they the installed the cable outside there would be a point to hook up my building, their reply was that for logistical reasons they dug up the road from both ends but did not meet in the middle right where my building is. Let’s just say my next email reply to them was much less than polite.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Having internet envy here. I'm running off 1 4G SIM and one 3G.....
    They sell 5G SIMs now. Gigabit speed with 300GB data limits. Not sure whether they have a signal in the marina though.

They sell 5G SIMs now. Gigabit speed with 300GB data limits. Not sure whether they have a signal in the marina though.
    You won't get 1Gb/s in the real world (200-500Mb/s typical in testing, but that's with low numbers of users per cell). Penetration at 3.5GHz needed for that data rate is not great. 5G is more complex than just "faster" as "5G" is branding for more integrated data services than just cell phone data as things were up to 4G.

At the low speed end, it's designed to cope with 100x more connected devices (such as utility meters, vehicle tracking and other low data rate devices using NB-IoT and Cat-M). It is also designed for faster phone data, but needs higher frequencies so cell coverage gets smaller due to RF propagation limits. There's a part for low latency critical applications (self driving, drones, medical, etc). Then finally there's the replacement for fixed line internet that works in the range 6-300GHz for mmWave but that needs a lot of cells to avoid attenuation.

In HK it seems carriers are currently just rolling out the faster phone data types. With backhaul per cell on fibre 10Gb/s, the cell service will be highly contended if you are expecting 1Gb/s from your phone/cellular modem. HK with its hilly and high rise nature will require a lot of cells for high speed 5G coverage.
    Last edited by stickyears; 10-05-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    This is why I moved to using a 5G router after years of 6Mb speeds from PCCW/HKT, the convenience alone offsets the much large fees per month.

I live in TST, in an old walk up building. I’ve searched HKBN’s website and there’s an optical line to the building to the left and to the building to the right, AND to the building opposite the road. So when I politely sent them an email to ask them if there was any possibility that when they the installed the cable outside there would be a point to hook up my building, their reply was that for logistical reasons they dug up the road from both ends but did not meet in the middle right where my building is. Let’s just say my next email reply to them was much less than polite.
    The first time Netvigator introduced 1000m, I emailed them to ask, they said that my building didn't have it yet. After some time, got a letter from them saying that certain floors in my building, including mine, already had the 1000m and I can upgrade. When I upgraded, the installation guy pulled the fiber optic cable from the comms room to my unit's box.

Its not a walk up building though.
    Last edited by blueagles; 10-05-2020 at 02:22 PM.

None do according to the maps. I've been tracking this and will jump as soon as it arrives!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast