Like Tree14Likes

Help needed choosing PCCW speed (100m, 500m, 1000m?)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Help needed choosing PCCW speed (100m, 500m, 1000m?)

We're moving apartment soon and our building only has PCCW fibre on offer. The following speeds are available:

100m ($238 @ 24 months)
    200m ($258 @ 24 months)
    500m ($298 @ 24 months)
    1000m ($338 @ 24 months)

I'd like to know roughly what speed to realistically expect from PCCW? If I choose 500m will I get 500mb speed?

For reference, currently we have HKBN fibre 1000m but we only get speeds averaging 59mbps (!).

Also is it common to get different offers/prices from different PCCW employees? Our letting agent hooked us up with his "friend" who works at PCCW and he's told us completely different prices and offers to the guy in the PCCW store. And the guy in the store has different offers to the PCCW website. It's giving me a headache!

Last edited by dave_van_damn; 09-05-2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

You won't get speeds anything close to 100mbs for sites outside of HK.

PCCW will "test" the setup when they install it using a special HK site.

Original Post Deleted
    Oh wow, that's fantastic. Is that directly via the modem or via wifi?

Original Post Deleted
    That's still great, though. Sure beats the 60mps I'm getting with my "1000m" HKBN deal!

Hmm if the speeds are that accurate I may just get the 500mb deal. But I will be using over wifi which I guess would slow it down...

To a server outside of HK...

Name:  zUK.jpeg
Views: 538
Size:  52.6 KB

It depends on your usage. If you're mostly using normal Wifi then 500MB is enough. If you buy the latest routers with 8 antennas and have many devices connected to it or you connect via a cable then go for 1000MB.

Original Post Deleted
    I was just using it as an example, as most of the sites I use are based either in the EU, UK or US, almost nothing I access is based locally in HK.

I do not use a VPN or DNS switching for anything.

You are getting decent speeds to the UK servers!
    jrkob likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Argh, well I've been tasked with it and I'm WAY less patient than my wife when it comes to dealing with this BS!

@emx Thanks for the speed test! Do you have 1000m installed?
    @civil_servant I was initially going to go for 500m but if the real speed is much lower, I guess it makes sense to go for 1000m.

Our letting agent's PCCW pal has offered us 1000m for $298 but on a 30 month contract, which isn't really our preference. I asked if he can do 24 month but he said no. I wonder if he just needs pushing a little......?
    civil_servant likes this.

100M is totally sufficient for everything you do. You can d/l a 1Gb file in one Minute or so.

Compare that with a highway, if the speed limit is 250Km/h or 300Km/h does not make a different for people with normal cars, and even you have a high performance car, maybe traffic doesn't allow, or you are simply not in the mood. There is no real benefit.

For a few years on 100M and totally happy (at work, at home I have ADSL and THAT sux big time!)

emx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    I was just using it as an example, as most of the sites I use are based either in the EU, UK or US, almost nothing I access is based locally in HK.

I do not use a VPN or DNS switching for anything.

You are getting decent speeds to the UK servers!
    Are you sure? Many sites use co-location caches. YouTube, Gmaps, and plenty of others come to mind. Even Netflix has servers in Hong Kong.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast