Like Tree4Likes

New HKBN Subscription - Through official website or stalls on the street?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New HKBN Subscription - Through official website or stalls on the street?

Hi guys

I'm currently serving my 14-day home iso and in need of a broadband plan - hoping to have them to come to install the day I got my freedom back.

I can see that online appointment is possible through HKBN website however what are the perks of subscribing through the HKBN stalls on the street VS through the website? Do you get better deals / freebies or the packages are pretty standard with what published online?

And on the installation fee is it something that can be waived usually?

Quote Originally Posted by ben_king1991:
    Hi guys

I'm currently serving my 14-day home iso and in need of a broadband plan - hoping to have them to come to install the day I got my freedom back.

I can see that online appointment is possible through HKBN website however what are the perks of subscribing through the HKBN stalls on the street VS through the website? Do you get better deals / freebies or the packages are pretty standard with what published online?

And on the installation fee is it something that can be waived usually?
    First check if it is available in your building.
    Don’t know if there is a difference between stalls and website but I have never paid installation fee when I signed up with them (several years ago) in the mean time changed to Smartone (same underlying provider)

Thank you. Had a look at Smartone yes it is significantly cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by ben_king1991:
    Thank you. Had a look at Smartone yes it is significantly cheaper!
    Easy choice then. As they deliver technically the same thing.

Also have a look at China Mobile. Again, HKBN provide the backbone.

Have to say though that China Mobile has flaked out a couple of times since I've used them for about 15 months. Technician normally comes the next working day.

shri likes this.

Thanks Pin! Looks like CMHK is the winner! $108 (normal price $158) vs Smartone $128 (normal price $208)!

shri and irisboards like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Also have a look at China Mobile. Again, HKBN provide the backbone.

Have to say though that China Mobile has flaked out a couple of times since I've used them for about 15 months. Technician normally comes the next working day.
    Does China Mobile use HKBN transpacific bandwidth or do they route through their own connection?

I think I am up for renewal and have been getting sms messages from HKBN.

Yeah that’s something that I concern too. Wondering if they will route all the traffic to their PRC servers for processing!

China Mobile's sales rep claimed they have their own network.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Does China Mobile use HKBN transpacific bandwidth or do they route through their own connection?

I think I am up for renewal and have been getting sms messages from HKBN.
    Have no idea. I am sure you can do IP lookups etc, but can't figure that stuff out. If you can let me know how to figure that out I can look into it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast