Like Tree6Likes

Is there a good VPN from HK to Sydney?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there a good VPN from HK to Sydney?

I've tried WiTopia to get a good VPN link from HK to Australia, but doesn't work anymore. Has anyone been able to get a good link to access ABC iView or SBS On Demand with good speed?

Quote Originally Posted by wkay:
    I've tried WiTopia to get a good VPN link from HK to Australia, but doesn't work anymore. Has anyone been able to get a good link to access ABC iView or SBS On Demand with good speed?
    You don't need a VPN.

I use Smart DNS from https://dns4me.net/ to watch Aussie TV
    Paxbritannia likes this.

does this work with watching US netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    does this work with watching US netflix?
    Maybe. There is an option in the settings to select USA Netflix, but I haven't tried it.

They have a free trial ...
    aquaman likes this.

bdw

I also use dns4me to watch Australian TV in Hong Kong. They are actually an Australian company I think. It's a smart dns, not a VPN. VPN is not required.

Combine dns4me with Matthuisman's Kodi plugin's and you can even steal foxtel, Kayo, all AFL footy games, etc.
    https://www.matthuisman.nz/

Rob2020 likes this.

In case any geeks are thinking "I don't want to send all my DNS requests to dns4me", fear not, this is my very simple solution, ingredients:
    * Two raspberry pi's (4 and zero-w)
    * both running raspbian (this is not important)
    * both running AdGuard Home

Method
    * I use DHCP to send all DNS requests to either of those pi's
    * AdGuard will look at the source IP and then send the DNS requests where I have configured it to. i.e. the dns4me servers for my media devices (shield, mibox) and a bunch of other DNS servers for the other devices on my network

Outcome
    * Media devices take advantage of the smart DNS and I can use ABC iview, tenplay (yeah, masterchef) etc
    * Other devices go to Google etc DNS servers
    * ad and other hosts are blocked according to the blocklists I have enabled

it's a great solution

bdw and vmlinuz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Maybe. There is an option in the settings to select USA Netflix, but I haven't tried it.

They have a free trial ...
    doesnt work with netflix

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    doesnt work with netflix
    Good to know.i suspect Netflix is fixed to your account location, i.e. using VPN or smart DNS you can probably open a US Netflix account but if you use your HK account to access US servers you still get HK content.

Just my guess, share more details if you have them

In case any geeks are thinking "I don't want to send all my DNS requests to dns4me", fear not, this is my very simple solution, ingredients:
    * Two raspberry pi's (4 and zero-w)
    * both running raspbian (this is not important)
    * both running AdGuard Home

Method
    * I use DHCP to send all DNS requests to either of those pi's
    * AdGuard will look at the source IP and then send the DNS requests where I have configured it to. i.e. the dns4me servers for my media devices (shield, mibox) and a bunch of other DNS servers for the other devices on my network

Outcome
    * Media devices take advantage of the smart DNS and I can use ABC iview, tenplay (yeah, masterchef) etc
    * Other devices go to Google etc DNS servers
    * ad and other hosts are blocked according to the blocklists I have enabled

it's a great solution
    why do you need two pi?

Good to know.i suspect Netflix is fixed to your account location, i.e. using VPN or smart DNS you can probably open a US Netflix account but if you use your HK account to access US servers you still get HK content.

Just my guess, share more details if you have them
    This is not the way Netflix works - the account is global, the content is local. If you subscribe in HK, then physically (or virtually) travel to the UK, you will see different content.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast