Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By jgl

Does this ethernet port work

Closed Thread

Does this ethernet port work

I am trying to use an ethernet port in my room to connect to my laptop because the wifi is alittle slow from all the sharing thats occurring in my apartment with my flatmates. I am just curious if the wall port in my room will actually work if I connect it to my laptop. The wall port looks like this:

We already have a router and modem at home just not sure if this is going to be connected on the other end to the network if i do use an ethernet cable. The region I am in is TKO side.

that would depends on where/what the other end of the jack is connected to?

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyResort:
    I am trying to use an ethernet port in my room to connect to my laptop because the wifi is alittle slow from all the sharing thats occurring in my apartment with my flatmates. I am just curious if the wall port in my room will actually work if I connect it to my laptop. The wall port looks like this:

We already have a router and modem at home just not sure if this is going to be connected on the other end to the network if i do use an ethernet cable. The region I am in is TKO side.
    We are not going to able to answer your question based on a photo alone.

You will need to plug something in at either end of the connection and see what it does.

IF that is an ethernet port, it will be something like this Outlet(your photo above) --> wires in the wall --> Source/Patch panel.
    You will need to find the path based on the above and then I suggest you do something like this:

computer --> outlet --> source --> router

and the lights should come on

There is another possibility however, that could be a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) socket - does it have a PCCW or other telco sticker/logo on it?

If you really don't want to plug things in to test for fear of damaging them, you can pick up a cheap ethernet cable tester and do the same tests

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ial/7701919011

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    We are not going to able to answer your question based on a photo alone.

You will need to plug something in at either end of the connection and see what it does.

IF that is an ethernet port, it will be something like this Outlet(your photo above) --> wires in the wall --> Source/Patch panel.
    You will need to find the path based on the above and then I suggest you do something like this:

computer --> outlet --> source --> router

and the lights should come on

There is another possibility however, that could be a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) socket - does it have a PCCW or other telco sticker/logo on it?

If you really don't want to plug things in to test for fear of damaging them, you can pick up a cheap ethernet cable tester and do the same tests

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ial/7701919011
    As others have suggested, you can try to find the A and Z ends of the cable and plug your laptop and router into them. If you cant find the Z end (the other side of the port in your room) then you will need a tone and tracer linked above(probably easier and faster to buy on taobao or just go to golden computer arcade in SSP). you plug the box on the right into your outlet then use the wand on the left to find where the cable is(when cable is close to the wand you will hear a ringing noise)

Are you sure this is an Ethernet port?

Might be a left over landline socket (cannot see what sort of connector interface it has, as it is covered by the slider).

Rob2020 and ArrynField like this.

just plug your laptop in and see if it works

aquaman likes this.

Seriously, this is not rocket science. If your ethernet cable fits in there, just plug in the laptop in see if it works. It probably won't, the chances of it being connected back the the home router would be pretty slim, but hey, maybe you'll get lucky.

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Seriously, this is not rocket science. If your ethernet cable fits in there, just plug in the laptop in see if it works. It probably won't, the chances of it being connected back the the home router would be pretty slim, but hey, maybe you'll get lucky.
    or maybe you will be connected to your neighbors unprotected network

to make things easier, is their a ethernet cable going from one of the ports on the router heading into the wall? If not, then where would your laptop get the internet from?