Like Tree25Likes

Old Gaming PC from 2008

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm slightly surprised that nobody has mentioned a Rasberry Pi by this point... the Pi4 can be a somewhat-usable desktop, it's a champ at emulation, and it's designed to be hacked around.

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I'm slightly surprised that nobody has mentioned a Rasberry Pi by this point... the Pi4 can be a somewhat-usable desktop, it's a champ at emulation, and it's designed to be hacked around.
    Not much use as a kid's general gaming machine though, unless gaming is 80s arcade emulations.
    ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Not much use as a kid's general gaming machine though, unless gaming is 80s arcade emulations.
    Not as good for retro PC gaming, true - but 80's arcade emulators can be a lot of fun, and there are lots of 'educational' things you can do with it as well!
    ArrynField likes this.

Yes , like so many mentioned I don't think it make sense upgrading. CPU is slow, RAM is not enough to start or update any modern OS or browser (which is not safe). It is cheaper to buy new one probably.
    If you have to stick with it upgrade to ssd and at least 4GB ram (assuming you can find proper one) It at least will make it decent enough to work with and will not make it constantly move data from HD to RAM with all its 2 cores. OS might need upgrade too (which is also pricey).

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Not as good for retro PC gaming, true - but 80's arcade emulators can be a lot of fun, and there are lots of 'educational' things you can do with it as well!
    Heh, try selling a kid on 80s arcade games when all their friends are on Switches and PS4s. The child probably won't be terribly appreciative.

Mine was using a Gameboy Color for a while, but it's not exactly the sort of experience he could use to relate to his peers with.
    ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Heh, try selling a kid on 80s arcade games when all their friends are on Switches and PS4s. The child probably won't be terribly appreciative.

Mine was using a Gameboy Color for a while, but it's not exactly the sort of experience he could use to relate to his peers with.
    I mean, we're talking about giving a 9-year-old a PC which is older than he is... I don't think it's exactly going to be playing photo-realistic 4k games.
    ArrynField likes this.

I think it's been pretty well established by now that that the 9 year old PC is a doorstop.

timonoj and chichow like this.

I think a 10-year-old boy might be more vulnerable to viruses, spywares and other malwares.

chromebox might be worth considering...

some android games are pretty good..

Last edited by nivek2046; 21-08-2020 at 09:00 PM.