Like Tree10Likes

Hard Disk Repair

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hard Disk Repair

Hi All,

I have a 10 year old desk top. The hard disk has suddenly given up on me. (Have tried all the reboot, rewirings, etc, the disk just doesnt respond at all). Most of the data is backed up, but there are still a few things I would like to retrieve from the disk. Any suggestions who could help me with this? Preferably in the Tai Po area. Thanks.

You should probably pursue proper data recovery companies for this - eg https://www.ontrack.com/en-hk . They have a few options and it's worth giving them a call to see the process and get a quote. I've done it before back home and it was expensive but perfect, for similar symptoms to you (likely PCB failure or electrical problem if the disk isn't spinning up at all).

I wouldn't take it to a random PC shop personally, not if the data is valuable. Really depends what price you put on your stuff, I guess.

shri likes this.

There’s a few shops in Wan Chai Computer Center that I trust with HDD recovery. If you go that route, bump this thread and I can share the names.

Back in 2002 I had a drive die on me. At the time the freezer trick was popular - put it in a zip bag and in the freezer for an hour. Worked long enough to get my data off. As a broke student it was my only option, and the chance to do a cool experiment. Apparently doesn't work like it used to, because of better manufacturing and drive resistance to stuck platters/heads.

After that, being early 2000s and modders being obsessed with perspex case windows and LEDs, I took the cover off, replaced it with perspex and let it be a strobe.

rkenia852 likes this.

Thanks all for the replies, will first reach out to Ontrack and see what they offer.

Wan Chai Comp Centre HDD recovery

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    There’s a few shops in Wan Chai Computer Center that I trust with HDD recovery. If you go that route, bump this thread and I can share the names.
    Just spotted your post here, ref HDD recovery.

Can you share the names of the shops in the WCC that you'd recommend?

My external HDD has format/address problems. Runs ok, though, so I'm hopeful that a shop might be able to recover the data, pics, etc.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HKG2301:
    Just spotted your post here, ref HDD recovery.

Can you share the names of the shops in the WCC that you'd recommend?

My external HDD has format/address problems. Runs ok, though, so I'm hopeful that a shop might be able to recover the data, pics, etc.

Cheers
    IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DIY....

Been sending folks to A-Lab - 1st Floor @ 298 Computer Center (not WCC...). Ask for Leo - he's the grey haired guy.
    jabalong likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks, it may be worth trying DIY, depends on how much they charge in the repair shops!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DIY....

Been sending folks to A-Lab - 1st Floor @ 298 Computer Center (not WCC...). Ask for Leo - he's the grey haired guy.
    Thought I'd replied to this, but seems to have been lost in the ether. Try again...

Thanks, might give them a try. Any idea how much they charge, ball-park?

This is 2TB external HDD, suspect a partition/address problem.

Cheers

google / call them... no clue if it needs a panadol or brain surgery.

HKG2301 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast